Interesting article on former player living with concussion symptoms

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
My daughter was a travel ball teammate of former South Carolina player Madison Owens for a season. Thought highly of her and her family. She has an interesting story to tell about career-ending concussions. She started quickly at South Carolina, then I couldn't find what happened to her. Wish her the best.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Very good article, thank you for sharing.

Concusssion, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Getting your Bell Rung, etc., whatever you want to call is a very serious issue that causes serious, ongoing and lingering effects that we do not yet fully understand. Use your head, literally and in a good way...we have protective gear and measures for a reason.

May 17, 2012
Concusssion, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Getting your Bell Rung, etc., whatever you want to call is a very serious issue that causes serious, ongoing and lingering effects that we do not yet fully understand. Use your head, literally and in a good way...we have protective gear and measures for a reason.

And yet people still let their children play football...

Jul 5, 2016
It's a tough problem. Most kids who play football in high school seem to come through without major damage. College is more damaging and the pros - well, if you like being hit by trucks.

The other problem is that it seems that not all concussions are created equally. For some kids, after their first concussion, they need to quit sports. That seems like the case with the SC player. But how do you know that you simple can't afford another concussion?

May 17, 2012
It's a tough problem. Most kids who play football in high school seem to come through without major damage. College is more damaging and the pros - well, if you like being hit by trucks.

The other problem is that it seems that not all concussions are created equally. For some kids, after their first concussion, they need to quit sports. That seems like the case with the SC player. But how do you know that you simple can't afford another concussion?

I disagree in that when bodies are developing (18 and younger) is when I would be more concerned. Over 18 and you are old enough to comprehend the risks, so do what you want.

The fact that you can't know the total damage unless you do post mortem analysis...

My larger point would be there are other sports to play so why risk it (for youths). CTE sucks...

Sep 17, 2009
And schools and coaches think a concussion 'protocol' is a solution. It really is the bare minimum. Parents need to watch out for their kids.

Jul 5, 2016
And schools and coaches think a concussion 'protocol' is a solution. It really is the bare minimum. Parents need to watch out for their kids.

This is the problem. The SC softball player, Madison Owens, mentioned in the article either had a particularly bad concussion the first time or was somehow sensitized to concussions for some reason. So, she should have quit after her first concussion. But I don't think there is any way of knowing this and concussion protocols certainly don't account for it.