Inline Spin Method??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2019
Never heard of it. Have you heard of Boardmember or IR on this page? That’s all you need to know :)
Right. I was just curious if the person was interchanging IR for “inside spin method.” I’ve yet to come across a PC in our area who can teach IR or who actually says, “IR.”

Sep 19, 2018
I am not sure you will find many that use the word IR. It is a the scientific term for a body movement. I had never heard of the term used in relation to softball pitching until coming to this site. There is a pitching coach in my area that believes in Palm up at 9:00. Teaches lead with the pinky. She have never heard the term IR. My DD goes to a Tincher. She (DD's coach) did not know what I meant when I said IR either, but she knows how to teach it.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Pictured below is the four-seam fastball grip. There are four "C's" on the ball—two forward and two backward. Find one and place your fingers on the top part with the opening facing to the side. Stretch your thumb back so it is in line with your middle finger. Your pinky can be tucked or lightly resting on the side but not actually gripping the ball. Place the pads of your fingers on the seam for a secure grip. Curl your fingers slightly so they are not fully touching the ball. The "curl" is a major factor in generating spin on the ball.

Mar 28, 2014
Right. I was just curious if the person was interchanging IR for “inside spin method.” I’ve yet to come across a PC in our area who can teach IR or who actually says, “IR.”
Yes don't go asking PC's about IR. That is strictly board terminology so they will have no idea what you're talking about. Better to ask whether they teach palm up or palm down at 9 o'clock to see if they are right for your DD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi