Inheriting a team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2012
I have been ask to take over a 12u travel team at the end of the summer with some coaching issues. I have been told that I will have full control of the team. The team is average at best from listening to the parents talk, I have not seen them play yet. I plan to watching them play a few tourneys, make a decision and get an idea of what I will need to do if I take this team. Any suggestions on how this should be handled? By the way I will not have a DD on the team.
Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
“coaching issues” can be a code work for Parent/ Player Issues.

I would spend more time watching the stands and players attitudes and see if it a place you want to be. You can start fixing the softball part if you signup.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are different levels of TB, so the biggest thing I would worry about is the expectation level of the parents and players. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE in the intensity level of a low to mid B level team vs. an ASA level A team.......and the team need to be managed accordingly.

Jul 5, 2011
Who asked you to take over? Assuming it wasn't the parents themselves, you have a great opportunity to observe both the players and the parents before you start. This way you'll know who you need to replace at tryouts.

Mar 3, 2012
The Manger/AC approached me with this about a month ago. From what I gather from him the team has respect issues for the coaching staff and it has not been delt with properly. I know one parent whose DD is on the team and one whose DD has picked up with them a couple of times, both have told me that the HC seems lost at practice and in games. This may be where the respect issues come from. I have already informed the manager that I will sit and watch a few tournaments and if I decide to accept his offer to take the team to be prepared for some team drama. I also told him that he may or may not some players due to the changes I will make if I take the offer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan