Inexpensive Gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD is 10, 4’6 and @60 lbs.

I have been looking in the store for used C equipment and all the different pricing is making my head spin.

I am not sure if she is going to stick with C and regardless she is going to grow out of the gear in a year or 2.

Would she be any danger if we just bought a new complete youth set for under $100? At her age does it matter it is primarily a set for Boys?

My guess is our Team supplied gear is just as cheap and made primarily for Boys too but have not looked too close.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
Quincy,
This is not an advertisement. The link below will give you an idea of some catcher’s equipment prices. My dd is a 3rd string catcher and we recently purchased a package that was based on safety and cost. There are some really good items that are not that expensive. I'd stay away from used equipment if possible. The helmet/mask must be durable, comfortable and be easily cleaned to prevent any unwanted odors.
Longstreth Fastpitch Softball - Catchers Packages
Good Luck,
D'E

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
At 10 you don't have a lot to worry about. Proper fit is most important. That said, if she grows and stays with it you will need to upgrade by the next age group. The chest protectors in the 100.00 boxed package are adequate for taking the occasional foul tip. Most won't hit her there anyway but in the outside shoulder or the arm. Poor catchers.

You will need better stuff at 12U and really by 14U if you expect a catcher to get down and block stuff. The harder chest protectors actually absorb the ball more and don't let it bounce a mile off the catcher. Go to the store and lay an inexpensive chest protector on the ground and a more advanced model. Drop a softball on them from about 3 feet and see what I'm talking about. And before you start yelling get down and block it. You should put the protector on and take one in the chest. You will buy the better one. Oh, wear a mask before you attempt that and a cup. Kids don't always throw so well.

Good luck it's an exciting spot to play vs the OF at 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish