Catcher gear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2018
Don’t know if I should post this on here or the Equipment forum. I’m going to go with here since this is where the most catching people are. Here’s my question…I haven’t had to buy catching gear in a few years. What’s good now? College freshman, 5’8” 180lbs. She’s worn the Wilson pro max for years. Still wearing it but she had it since at least 9th grade. (Maybe earlier) She says it’s holding up ok but I’m not convinced it is. We don’t have anywhere she can go try on gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Im a big fan of the Schutt catchers gear since its made for girls bodies and also bc of the safety aspect of their helmets.

Alot of girls also like the Jen Schro gear but just know that you cant mix and match sizes if needed. The All Star AFX gear is really good as well and you are able to mix and match different sizes.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My 17yo DD's current gear mix...
Legs - All-Star System 7 Axis
Chest - Wilson ProMotion (found new on eBay, but they are almost impossible to find now)
Helmet - Easton Pro-X (baseball version of the Jen Schro model)

My DD has been using All-Star legs since 10U, and hasn't ever wanted to try anything else. She has used All-Star and Wilson chest protectors. The Wilson ProMo is, by far, her preference. The Eason Pro-X helmet is a huge step forward for protection over her previous Easton. The All-Star helmet is really good, too, but it doesn't fit my DD's head comfortably.

Mar 13, 2016
Easton's Jen Schro The Very Best line seems to get a lot of love. My daughter has the chest protector and generally likes it. There is something about the buckles she is not super fond of, but she got over it quick. We know a couple girls with the full set who are all about it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Easton Jen Schro Very Best is great and gets a lot of positive reviews. Someone above said you can't mix and match, but that is incorrect. You will pay more to mix sizes and colors, but it can absolutely be done.

All-Star is very good gear, as well.

And Evoshield is great stuff, but as was pointed out earlier, it is *very* expensive compared to other gear.

May 21, 2014
We use an AllStar helmet with the Mizuno chest and legs (newer style with the strap under the foot).Has been a really great combo (the shins stay in place better than her previous wilson promotion)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812