Increased Velosity a result of Timing, Need Some Mechanical Advice!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2009
DD is pitching high school varsity but over the last month has lost her confidence/mechanics. Cruising/game speed is down by about 3-5 MPH and based on how the batters are hitting the ball the movement and rotation are down as well.

Her last speed and spin assessment was about 2.5 months ago and she was cruising at 59-61 MPH and all of her spin pitches were rotating from 23-28 RPM but right now I don't see that kind of pop and break on her pitches.

The drop in speed, rotation and movement are the symptoms of bad mechanics. I think DD has lost the snap, is closing the hip too soon, landing off balance and landing the front foot before or as the pitch is being released. Am I right that to snap the ball you need the resistance from the front foot pushing back before the pitch is released?

Any advice on drills to cure this, any observations that my assessment is wrong,

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Before you lay all the blame on her, what are the field conditions at the fields she is pitching at? Whayt is the condition of the field INSIDE THE CIRCLE?

I have practiced on HS fields that were HORRIBLE, dangerously bad for a pitcher.

Pratice with the instructor, ground is nice and smooth and stable. Then you get to the game and its like trying to pitch slipping and sliding on marbles.

Make sure its not the field before breaking her down and trying to rebuild her.

Sep 9, 2009
I can start blaming a lot of things bad hs coaches, bad fields, favoritism & an enviroment created to propagate self doubt but I can see some issues mechanically and whether they were created from the before mentioned she still needs some work. So I am looking for a basic answer, does she need to land the front foot before release to create an apposing force to increase velocity/snap.

Aug 8, 2008
The simple act of pitching at a target versus to a target can and does affect mechanics. All of the symptoms you described – “I think DD has lost the snap, is closing the hip too soon, landing off balance and landing the front foot before or as the pitch is being released” - can be a product of someone who is forcing her pitches and/or trying to be too precise. Stress is a killer of mechanics and timing.

Does she demonstrate the errant mechanics during warm-ups? If so, than you may want to look at changing her warm-up routine. If not, it is likely mental and that’s where the work needs to be done.

You might try intensity drills. Have her throw 20 pitches, where she starts the first pitch very relaxed and low intensity and builds to overthrowing at max intensity by the tenth pitch. Then, start at max overthrowing and work down for the next ten. See if you can both identify the optimal intensity and/or where the mechanics break down. Once you discover the optimal level of intensity work on her throwing consistently at that level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00