Incidental contact?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Hi

Is there such a thing as incidental contact when a ss, is fielding a ground ball and the runner collides with ss and knocks the ss down? right in the base path.
thanks for an explanation or where i can find it.
16u ASA

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Hi

Is there such a thing as incidental contact when a ss, is fielding a ground ball and the runner collides with ss and knocks the ss down? right in the base path.
thanks for an explanation or where i can find it.
16u ASA

No, the fielder has the right-of-way when fielding any batted ball with three exceptions: A runner occupying a base is not required to vacate that base for the defender, and if it is a deflected batted ball and in the umpire's judgment the fielder does not have the opportunity to put a runner out.

The third would be the example of at home when a batter-runner and catcher contact each other doing what they are supposed to be doing. If at any time it is apparent that the BR acts in a manner of trying to block or deter the catcher from pursuing the ball and/or the catcher does not do anything other than pursuing the ball (i.e., pushing the runner, etc).

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
I cannot picture any situation where there would be 'incidental contact' fielding a ground ball. The only other scene is where 3rd base is the protected fielder, but then you should have obstruction on the short stop.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA