Illegal Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, an IP is a Judgement call in 99% of the cases. Its not appealable. Its not available for NFL or MLB review.

Comp, where do you live? You obviously live somewhere that is blessed with tournaments who have actual tournament directors and UIC's. Areas where I live don't have much of a structure so who do you protest to?

Sorry you think I was spreading false information, I thought I was just stating reality and what most face. And my overall point stands, and it's not false info. MOST people don't know the rules. They don't know about this board. They don't know about "IR". Most people get their insights into rules from the person in the stands next to them. Or from a pitching coach who teaches the DRAG to be sideways. So what is the laymen to do? The word they get from the PC is law... rumors of what is the rule is more powerful than the actual rule around the field... especially if your pitcher is dominating.

Bill

If an umpires explanation for an IP call is that the pitcher did not drag the foot in the bottom of the hole, that is nothing about judgement. It is a misunderstanding or misapplication of the rule and certainly is protestable.

If the tournaments you play in dont have UIC's or tournament directors and are so horrible, the answer is, dont play in them anymore. If teams stop showing up for these sub par tournaments they will go away. Demand trained umpires, UIC's and knowledgeable tournament directors or dont participate in those events.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Did you pull a Mr. Miyagi on her? Damn, why didn't I think of that???

Yes... :cool: She has helped rescued lotz of games with the grounds crew. All Coaches, and lotz of parents show up & we enjoy it !!! Having her come out to give the final go ahead to play on the circle, is one of her big prestigious roles. Broom, Rake, & Drive the 4wheeler with the tinges... spread the cat nip, and hose off the 4 wheeler. When she was little, it was almost as fun as playing :cool:

EP: if we can't get the game saved, it has turned into sliding practice... in the mud :cool:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Bad circle conditions are a fact of life, so I would advise all pitchers to learn to pitch with less than ideal conditions. If a pitcher has to have a "perfect" circle in order to pitch, she is going to be disappointed 92.8% of the time.....

Completely agree! Learn to pitch with all the variables. A terrible circle, crooked rubber, wet ball, cold hands, sweaty hands, ...etc.
However, I dispute your 92.8% statistic. I find it is more like 91.7% of the time. Of course, YMMV ;)

Aug 21, 2008
If an umpires explanation for an IP call is that the pitcher did not drag the foot in the bottom of the hole, that is nothing about judgement. It is a misunderstanding or misapplication of the rule and certainly is protestable.

If the tournaments you play in dont have UIC's or tournament directors and are so horrible, the answer is, dont play in them anymore. If teams stop showing up for these sub par tournaments they will go away. Demand trained umpires, UIC's and knowledgeable tournament directors or dont participate in those events.

Comp, I'm not trying to argue. You'd win the argument. Seriously... because I agree with you 100%. But, I'm just telling you in places like small town Pennsylvania there are not a lot of options for tournaments. Teams don't have the money to go to bigger events, they have to play what they can afford.

In Erie PA, I run a men's tournament. I pay a UIC, the city for grounds crew, the city for fields, and I import umpires from ALL OVER North America. So personally I wouldn't have it any other way. But, I have a sponsor (Budweiser) and I run the tournament myself saving $$ on a Tourney Director. So I can afford all these luxuries. But a small club in a town of Ohio or Pennsylvania, where the zip code is E I E I O.... they try to make money. So they cut corners. And poor understanding of the rules spreads faster than anything else in this sport. How many tournaments do you know of or people you know of who still yell "She has to present the ball!!!!" ??? There is no such rule. But it's believed by the masses. That's my point.

Bill

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Completely agree! Learn to pitch with all the variables. A terrible circle, crooked rubber, wet ball, cold hands, sweaty hands, ...etc.
However, I dispute your 92.8% statistic. I find it is more like 91.7% of the time. Of course, YMMV ;)

You probably have better field crews in your neck of the woods.....

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
How many tournaments do you know of or people you know of who still yell "She has to present the ball!!!!" ???

Funny, DD was called on that exact thing...at Nationals. Now I need to go read the rule book...again.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
My all-time favorite IP call: ump called IP on a pitcher DD 1's team was facing. At the end of the inning, the pitcher's coach thanks the ump for making the call. Coach was trying to get the girl to break some bad habits and needed umps to make the call to convince her.