Illegal Pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Has anyone had any illegal pitches called because of outside the 24inch lane that does not have lines?
My DD used to throw her drop-curve with an exaggerated step outside the 24" lane. Had one umpire give her a warning, then call an illegal pitch. We have since shortened her step to avoid future problems.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
My dd, 14U, is now just starting to get called for it. Spoke with a UIC and we both agreed the real problem was in 10 and 12U when they called it, holy heck was unleashed so they stopped calling it. It has taken DD some time to fix this problem, but still will occasionally get called, USSSA only. NSA called her for outside the line, which was funny as the mound was completely hidden by mud and no lines.

Nov 29, 2009
My dd, 14U, is now just starting to get called for it. Spoke with a UIC and we both agreed the real problem was in 10 and 12U when they called it, holy heck was unleashed so they stopped calling it. It has taken DD some time to fix this problem, but still will occasionally get called, USSSA only. NSA called her for outside the line, which was funny as the mound was completely hidden by mud and no lines.

Does your DD flirt with the 24" lines when she is throwing her other pitches?

Jan 18, 2011
As an ASA ump, that is illegal. I call illegal pitches to 12u and up. The 10u here, so far, is more instructional. For 10u we call time after the pitch is completed or play completed, if hit. We then explain to the HC that his pitcher is illegal and why she is illegal. It is up to him or whomever to fix before she reaches 12u.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I can't recall the last time I have seen a pitcher called for an illegal pitch in the tournaments we have entered. Last weekend we faced a pitcher leaping similar to this girl. We have gotten to the point we don't even bring it to the umpires attention any more.

View attachment 2603

Last weekend in SoCal tournament all 3 of our pitchers were warned about "leaping", none had IP called. They were losing contact with the ground because of the giant hole in front of the rubber...

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Has anyone had any illegal pitches called because of outside the 24inch lane that does not have lines?

Yes. The umpire didn't call the illegal, he instead walked to the picther and instructed her of the rule; basically gave her a free pass or a warning. After that she was fine.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
About the only advantage the pitcher can gain from this, without the replant, is to be closer to the batter.

Every foot closer is 3-MPH faster.

I have proven to my dd that she pitches slower with the leap.

Right now perhaps. But once she really mechanically gets her legs into it and drives toward the plate through the air without any drag, that leap could turn into more power and more speed...and more intimidating. With everything being equal, she will be closer to the plate when she releases teh ball without any drag.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
T.J.
Hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe each foot closer represents the equivalent of 3 mph per foot in batter reaction time. There seems to be some disagreement about whether a stronger/longer push actually adds speed. I believe it makes getting speed more efficiently than by step-style.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
T.J.
Hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe each foot closer represents the equivalent of 3 mph per foot in batter reaction time. There seems to be some disagreement about whether a stronger/longer push actually adds speed. I believe it makes getting speed more efficiently than by step-style.

No, you're correct; you have explained it better...thanks. I don't want to get off track here, but I believe there are some illegal moves that do not advantage the pitcher...and some that do. I feel leaping can (potentially) help you with speed (err...less batter reaction time)...net result is advantage pitcher.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I haven't considered the airborne leap as allowing for more distance. I'll have the try that. My guess is that the distance gained would be negligible, but looking forward to measuring the difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619