illegal pitch called

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
What is the rule?

Take the play or ball, correct.
Does the runner advance?

It has been different every time we play.

Nov 29, 2009
The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch is called. There can not be any plays once the ball is dead. Play is suspended.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In USA:

If the batter reaches 1st base safely and all other runners advance at least one base, the illegal pitch is cancelled.

If either condition is not met, team may choose result of play or ball on the batter.

Jan 28, 2017
In USA:

If the batter reaches 1st base safely and all other runners advance at least one base, the illegal pitch is cancelled.

If either condition is not met, team may choose result of play or ball on the batter.

That is my understanding. The umpire last night was calling it a no pitch and not a ball but replay if a strike or an out.

Earlier this year, a runner on first would go to second on an illegal pitch. I believe they changed that rule a few years ago or last year but not positive. Just a ball, correct?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch is called. There can not be any plays once the ball is dead. Play is suspended.

This is incorrect; this is a delayed dead ball. Play continues.

It is a BALL on the Batter or the offensive team can take the result of the play. As others have mentioned, if the batter reaches 1B safely and any other runner also advances at least 1B safely, the option is no longer available and the result of the play stands.

The 'runners advance' part of the penalty was taken away a couple of years ago (Yay); I am not aware of any code that has not changed their ruleset to this.

Feb 15, 2017

It is a BALL on the Batter or the offensive team can take the result of the play. As others have mentioned, if the batter reaches 1B safely and any other runner also advances at least 1B safely, the option is no longer available and the result of the play stands.

The 'runners advance' part of the penalty was taken away a couple of years ago (Yay); I am not aware of any code that has not changed their ruleset to this.
Or commonly know as the Barnhill amendment.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017

TY. That's was my understanding but. LOL

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
So does the ball become dead when the batter doesn't hit the illegal pitch or do you let the whole play play out.

If the pitch was a strike, but the runners stole bases, could the offense take the result of the play?

Jun 22, 2008
The ball is not dead immediately on an illegal pitch, it is a delayed dead ball.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles