If this described your DD....what would you do next?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
As always, I struggle with the "where do I go from here?" with my DD when it comes to her pitching development. With that said, I appreciate any advice from the experts that have been there and done that. I know everyone has opinions that vary and every pitchers development is different. I will give you description of where we are and so I ask from you...what would you do next?

Okay, first a little background...DD is first year 12U, second PC we have been with for 6 months, first PC was HE so we had some changes to do. DD has come a long way with second PC from getting pulled in one inning due to walks to this weekend throwing a no hitter, 5 K, 2 BB (would say this was an average travel ball team as far as competition goes that we have seen just to put it in perspective, not a miracle, but great progress).

Now, she basically is locating fastball and CU. We were starting to make good progress adding a roll over drop (breaking enough to make me nervous on the bucket) , but within the last several weeks she cannot seem to get any break when she throws it. PC seems to think her "whip" is faster and she is not "rolling" her hand fast enough so it ends up like a FB down the middle of the plate. Currently she is better off just throwing a low FB in a game instead of drop. When she started with second PC her top speed was 51 or 52...was clocked a few weeks ago at 57 once and hit 56 4 times. PC makes them hit a speed at least twice before she counts it as their top speed (she rarely clocks them).

Here is why I get unsure and question myself...

1) Do you see pitching development as cyclical or linear? (I think those are the correct terms?) In other words, at what point to do move to another pitch or decide if mechanics are sound enough, and how do you determine when to do that? or are you working on many things at one time...mechanics, better location of FB, better break on drop, etc? I'm probably asking a "chicken and egg" question?

With DD, she still will let her butt drop from time to time so it keeps her from being really tall at end of pitch and she still needs to work on her drive off the mound. She has moments when she can hit corners with her FB with ease and sometimes she will throw 5 pitches and cannot hit the desired location....so there is a lot to work on.

How close to perfection to work before adding more? Keep working drop or work more to prefect her mechanics, FB and CU? Maybe I'm just going crazy thinking about all of this all the time!!?? I just know I don't like to waste developmental time doing things the wrong way or not the best way so I am very thankful for all the advice and knowledge I get here. I hope I have not confused you all as much as I confuse myself when I think about this. If your advice is for me to seek professional help I will not take offense! Thanks again!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let me rephrase your post a little:

My DD was throwing 51 and now she is throwing 56 MPH. Oh woe is me!

Please, think this through a little bit. At release, her hand is traveling at the same speed as the ball--56 mph. Don't you think her hand moving 10% faster might throw off her timing a little? Give her a break. She'll get it all back and more.

Here is the way pitching goes:

1) Pitcher learns fundamentals
2) Pitcher is pushed to throw harder and learn new things.
3) Pitcher loses fundamentals.
4) Go to step 1.

It never ends until she hangs up her glove forever.
are you working on many things at one time...mechanics, better location of FB, better break on drop,

If your DD is progressing, she is throwing probably 4 or 5 times a week, right? If her mechanics are good, you work on movement pitches, If her mechanics suck, you stop everything and work on her mechanics.

Usually, for our practice sessions, my DD would warm up and then start pitching. If she threw with good mechanics for 10 minutes, then we would work on breaking stuff. If not, we worked on her mechanics until they were good again.

Note I said *GOOD*, not perfect.

Maybe I'm just going crazy thinking about all of this all the time!!??

And you wonder why you are called a "Crazy Daddy"?

I just know I don't like to waste developmental time doing things the wrong way or not the best way so I am very thankful for all the advice and knowledge I get here.

This is a little tough love: It isn't about *YOU*. It is about *HER*. If she is throwing 56 MPH, she knows more about pitching than you ever will. You've got her a good coach. You have to listen to the coach and your DD and let them drive.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Papa,

I'm going to state the obvious here. Does she practice on asphalt, gym floor, concrete surface??

Those surfaces are flat, level and solid. The pitching area in the circle can go from nearly perfect and pristeen, to the other end of the scale and look more like a mine field. Feels like pitching in a mine field. That is a concerning and very distracting feeling and can effect everything.

Before picking her motions or her thinking to pieces, pick the circle apart first. Lotsa bucket dads dont seem to think about it til someone brings that up.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
Pitchers confidence is huge. I will start with that fact.

Remembering back to 12u if your DD is throwing 55 then she should be in the top bracket of pitchers speed-wise. At 55 MPH she should focus on fb/cu and maybe have that third waste pitch "in development". But get the corner accuracy going NOW. Reps at 3-4 times a week will get her there. BUT not all year long! Get her ~7 weeks torso-torque downtime a year.

butcher-boy

old school
Jul 10, 2013
ARIZONA
Slugger pretty much covered it. My first impression is you need to chill. You have a first or second yr. 12U pitcher doing 56 with any degree of accuracy, count your blessings and leave her alone. Prepare yourself for the week or month where she can't get over 48 and has a hard time hitting the back stop. This is part of being a pitcher , win a few, lose a few and a few get rained out . It sounds like her PC has everything under control. If you want some onfo. on the drop or movement check out (google ) " FASTPITCH SOFTBALL TV SHOW. Bill Hillhouse has a good video series , also Courtney Scott has a video on the drop. Enjoy

Nov 29, 2009
Do you see pitching development as cyclical or linear?

Neither. It is a combination of walk, run, stumble, fall, get back up and start over again.

As Sluggers stated. Learning to pitch is NOT a steady progression. It is a series of forward and backwards steps. Once she is solid in what she's doing you add something. The new pitch requires relearning timing and release points. She will struggle with her mechanics and confidence until she sees some progress. The good part is. As she gets older and learns it's part of the process of learning to pitch the frustration will turn into determination to get it right. The confidence will not suffer as badly because she knows she's a good pitcher.

Once YOU understand it it'll be MUCH easier on her. There is no timetable for it. Each girl develops at her own pace. There will be periods of rapid advancement as well periods of feeling like things have plateaued. Don't panic and keep working as long as she wants to.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Even after about four responses I am feeling better and can get some sleep tonite! Sluggers, I have to say you can always put it in a simple to understand perspective for me. I just need things in a simple format. You are correct 4-5 times a week, typically 4 if we have a tournament that weekend. I'm good with tough love and I promise you pitching is all about her and what she wants to do. I try to keep my role at support by sitting my big butt on that bucket and reinforcing what the PC tells us (sometimes I might overstep my bounds a little).

Hal, I have to be honest...never thought of that. At TB practice the mound looks like someone took a pick ax to it and was trying to replicate the grand canyon. Each place we go to tournaments is different...usually not good, at home she has a roll out mat with mound attached and we use side driveway, if it rains we go to the racquet ball court and walk in with our bucket with my racquet sticking out but gloves and indoor balls in the bottom and throw opposite corners (almost the correct distance)

RB, I got preached at a few weeks ago about the down time...we are going to do that.

Butcher, I know I can be over the top (but mostly in my head with my thoughts) In words and actions to DD I am much more calmer than I appear with my post. You are right I do have a great PC, that is a great teacher, and pitched at a very high level. Just lucky to have her so close. She has done wonders for my DD.

Thanks again for the talk. PM me your address so I know where to send the check. Sluggers I think I owe you for a few past sessions!

Jul 14, 2008
Is she a stepper or a leaper?..........

Sorry......I couldn't resist.........:rolleyes:

This is a formula for success from Sluggers.........

Here is the way pitching goes:

1) Pitcher learns fundamentals
2) Pitcher is pushed to throw harder and learn new things.
3) Pitcher loses fundamentals.
4) Go to step 1.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
This is a really good question.

As my DD was working to move from a step style to open/close-leap-&-drag her arm circle was not pure. Her arm motion had the shape of a narrow figure 8. She also stepped out towards first base. Her roll over drop starting having a bullet spin and it was straight as an arrow.

The PC helped her fix the mechanical issues - straight arm circle, back on the power line. The drop ball is back as a dependable and effective pitch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06