If someone is injured do you take the extra base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm glad you're okay Lozza.

I'd have probably taken 2 bases as well. If the injury was right in front of me (like if the 1st baseman took it in the head) then I'd stop. We teach are kids the same thing. The umpire can always move then back if the play was called dead. They're taught to hit the ball up the middle if it's pitched that way, and we don't want them to second guess themselves. We try to promote aggressive baserunning.

That said, taking a knee, giving the coaches and trainers room to treat the injured playing, and all of the other aspects of good sportsmanship apply. Aggressiveness does not equal apathy.

-W

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Two weeks ago, I had a line drive straight back at me at pitcher. Moved the glove the wrong way and copped the ball just under the kneecap. Went down like a ton of bricks and the ball went off somewhere while the second base ran to me to make sure I was OK. Thankfully was OKish (an inch higher and I would have shattered the kneecap!) and continued pitching (though I haven't pitched that slow since I was 12! Just had zero, zero speed but since our other pitcher wasn't there had no choice) It wasn't until after I was walking back to the plate that I realised the runner was on second.

Is it just me or is that just poor sportsmanship? That you hit someone hard enough that they go down (and both coaches said afterwards they thought it had shattered the kneecap because of the sound it made on impact) and you run/send someone to second?

No, it is not. They are playing the game, just as your teammates should have been doing.

Jan 20, 2010
Yes, that's exactly it. There were no runners on when the ball was hit.

It was a single at best and where the ball went was to second base, and the second base had run to me. Right field ran in and picked up the ball when she realised that the runner was going to keep going.

I've always seen it played that when a player is injured, to the point of dropping, that you stop at the base you're at. I didn't mention umpires in the OP because it honestly never occurred to me that the umpire would have to call time to get the runner to stop running. It's the same thought process behind, if you're over ten runs behind you stop stealing, you stop pushing for that extra base.

See now those are un written rules, that "most" coaches will follow. I am seen some real class acts continue to steal and push the extra base, delay steal and such with a 10 run lead. Some coaches have what I call "POS" coaching styles.

I think that is usually the distinction as well, if someone is hit in the leg it is usually going to be a play on. In your case the runner ending up on second I am OK with now if she tried to sneak all the way home that is probably crossing the line as a player is down and teammates are rushing to see if she is OK and the umpire should probably have time called by then but someone should always go get the ball and get it to a base ahead of the runner if they don't here the umpire stopping play.

If the pitcher or infielder is hit in the head that is usually a different story and as an umpire I would stop play and I would expect play to be stopped, umpires even usually brief this during pre game "if any safety concern comes up I will stop play immediately and sort out base runners later".

Outfield is usually different and the expectation is usually that the defense needs to get the ball back to the infield and runners stop before time is called.

Feb 3, 2011
Yes, that's exactly it. There were no runners on when the ball was hit.

It was a single at best and where the ball went was to second base, and the second base had run to me. Right field ran in and picked up the ball when she realised that the runner was going to keep going.

I've always seen it played that when a player is injured, to the point of dropping, that you stop at the base you're at. I didn't mention umpires in the OP because it honestly never occurred to me that the umpire would have to call time to get the runner to stop running. It's the same thought process behind, if you're over ten runs behind you stop stealing, you stop pushing for that extra base.

I'm not sure why your thought process is the same here, given how completely different the described situations are. Your teammate who came and fielded the ball was aware that the play was still live.

I do agree that there's a difference between seeing someone get smashed in the face with a ball and someone taking a shot below the neck, but even then, you take 1 extra base, not 2. If the umpire wants to put the runners back to the previous base, that's their call and there's no problem there either in most cases I can think of.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Not directly related, but I can tell you as an umpire, if I see a player hit in the head and immediately go down, I'm killing the play right there and getting somebody out there to take care of the player.

My experience with umpires has been similar to Ajaywill, they stop play as soon as someone gets seriously hurt, although the defensive team cannot assume this will be the case and needs to field the ball so play can be stopped.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Lozza I'm sorry, I know it hurts I've been there I few times myself.

The problem is "if" we know a runner will stop at 1 base, or know an umpire will make a ruling there are some fielders/pitchers who will exaggerate the injury for that very purpose. ( ball hits me, I can't make a play, but I'll keep them to one base )

Trust me folks there are players who will/have done this.

I knew some guys who were Jedi Knights on faking hit by pitches to get OB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie