"If it happens again, you'll be out of the game"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I've watched the clip several times now. I think the 2nd girl was heading her way to the other on deck circle. Maybe she is a lefty. I know that most associations now allow you to use either on deck circle.

The more I watch this, the more I think that everyone was just caught up in the excitement of the game. Adrenaline probably got everyone in a big misunderstanding.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
An ejection warning is over the top.

Not necessarily. I've seen unauthorized people entering the field of play during a live ball ejected with no warning. The player doesn't belong there. If she were only one player out of the dugout, I would think nothing would have been said other than to be careful where she goes.

While permitted outside of the dugout, the ODB is 100% responsible for avoiding affecting play in any manner, whether it is her presence or that of the equipment she has while on deck.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I still think it is possible that blue thought the player behind him was the on-deck and thought the player he chastised came out of the dugout. Either way the players were clearly at fault.

Apr 8, 2013
The original on deck hitter was doing what she was coached to do - get behind the plate to let her teammate know whether or not to slide should there be a play at the plate. Good effort, good intentions. She was watching the play, not the ump. I can see this mistake, and I'm sure she won't make it again.

The "in the hole" batter is 100% in the wrong. Has no business being out there. I don't know the rule on that but I can't imagine that is okay to do.

Apr 8, 2013
I've watched the clip several times now. I think the 2nd girl was heading her way to the other on deck circle. Maybe she is a lefty. I know that most associations now allow you to use either on deck circle.

The more I watch this, the more I think that everyone was just caught up in the excitement of the game. Adrenaline probably got everyone in a big misunderstanding.

At that age a girl should not be heading to the on deck circle when the previous play is still going on. She is in the wrong and needs to be coached not to ever do that again.

Jun 12, 2015
I don't understand what she was doing. If the umpire felt it was intentional I can see why he'd warn her. I don't necessarily think a warning is over the top. If he'd tossed her right then, sure. But she was on deck, right? I see no reason she needed to run out towards home plate in the middle of a play. That's really odd that she did that.

Nov 2, 2015
It's her job to avoid the ump. Nothing wrong with a warning.
The "in the hole" hitter looks like she's coaching the runner on 1B, as the team doesn't have a 1B coach. That's the coach's fault. Get a girl over there if you don't have a coach, don't use your "in the hole" batter!

Something about this bothers me a bit and I presume it bothered the ump, too.

First, she isn't taking a very good angle to get way behind home plate, which is where she'd want to be to direct the runner coming from 3B. She takes an angle almost directly at home plate, instead.

Second, she absolutely sees the ump in time to avoid the collision but instead she lowers the bat head in his direction.

I do not want to assign intent here because there is no way I can get inside of her head. However, I would love to know if there is a history between the team and the ump or if there had been a questionable call or two made during the game.

Not nearly as blatant, but when I first watched this it reminded me of the time when the Cruisers let the ump take a fastball to the mask.

Feb 3, 2011
The original on deck hitter was doing what she was coached to do - get behind the plate to let her teammate know whether or not to slide should there be a play at the plate. Good effort, good intentions. She was watching the play, not the ump. I can see this mistake, and I'm sure she won't make it again.

The "in the hole" batter is 100% in the wrong. Has no business being out there. I don't know the rule on that but I can't imagine that is okay to do.
It was the bottom of the 1st and was the first time they'd seen this umpire. The ODB said she was going to move the bat out of the way and then give direction to the incoming runner from 3B if there was chance for her to score. I don't know the other player's version of events.

Jul 2, 2013
14u

I did not witness what the on-deck batter did during the play itself, but I did see and hear the umpire's response to her. Based on his tone, my initial assumption was that she'd done something which potentially endangered the catcher's safety.

I've watched this section of the video 10 times now and it just seems like incidental contact as the player was attempting to get in position to direct her runner from 3B. I know he has a job to do, but the umpire is part of the field and she happened not to notice him until it was too late. In your view, did this action by the player warrant an ejection warning?

https://youtu.be/iVF5r4pPnwk

It looks to me like the on deck batter may have thought the play was over, or was going to get the bat. Although I don't think her intent was to get in the way of the umpire or the play, she should have staying in the circle until the play was over.

I have no idea what the in the hole batter was doing. I have never seen a player run out from the dugout to direct a runner from behind the plate. If that's something the players have been directed to do, that's bad coaching. If she did it on her own, her coaches need to have a serious conversation with her about overstepping her role.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06