"If it happens again, you'll be out of the game"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
As others have pointed out ODB would remove bat and give directions to runner coming home to slide or stand up, pretty standard she just was not watching where she was going, a simple "be careful and go around next time" would have sufficed but hey umpires gotta be in charge.

In the hole batter should be in the hole not sure what the heck she is doing, don't come out of the dugout until next batter is getting in the batters box, if any one should get a warning it should be her but again a "stay in the dugout until the play is over" is sufficient.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Not necessarily. I've seen unauthorized people entering the field of play during a live ball ejected with no warning. The player doesn't belong there. If she were only one player out of the dugout, I would think nothing would have been said other than to be careful where she goes.

While permitted outside of the dugout, the ODB is 100% responsible for avoiding affecting play in any manner, whether it is her presence or that of the equipment she has while on deck.

Doesn't rule 7.1.C.2. allow the on deck batter to be there? The on-deck batter was heading to a position to direct the runner coming home from 3rd and she did not interfere with the defense in any way. I can find nothing in the rule book that says anything about bumping into the umpire.

Sep 18, 2011
It's her job to avoid the ump. Nothing wrong with a warning.
The "in the hole" hitter looks like she's coaching the runner on 1B, as the team doesn't have a 1B coach. That's the coach's fault. Get a girl over there if you don't have a coach, don't use your "in the hole" batter!

If you watch the clip, you will see the 1b coach appear towards the end. He was there. The team clearly had a 1B coach.

Pretty sure that the second girl was running to the other side because, as others have suggested, the first girl was probably a lefty. Regardless... I think the umpire handled it entirely appropriately. It is a mistake that should not happen. Ump needed to be stern. I have no problem with it.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I saw it completely opposite. To me it looked like she was watching the play and didn't realize where the umpire was. The ump looked like he pushed her which I thought was uncalled for.

This.

Not sure what the other player from the dugout was doing, though.

Jun 22, 2008
Doesn't rule 7.1.C.2. allow the on deck batter to be there? The on-deck batter was heading to a position to direct the runner coming home from 3rd and she did not interfere with the defense in any way. I can find nothing in the rule book that says anything about bumping into the umpire.

So, you are the defensive coach and would be perfectly fine with the offensive on deck batter getting between the umpire and a play at the plate blocking the view of the umpire on the tag? Since an umpire can never guess an out, they would have no choice but to call the runner safe.

The on deck batter is allowed to direct the runner coming home, but they need to stay out of the way and not interfere with the players or umpires.

Feb 17, 2014
The batter is a lefty, so why isn't the ODB in the other on deck circle is that's how they handle it?

I don't think the umps reaction was over the top at all.

Kind of a weird situation. What's the in the hole batter doing?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
So, you are the defensive coach and would be perfectly fine with the offensive on deck batter getting between the umpire and a play at the plate blocking the view of the umpire on the tag? Since an umpire can never guess an out, they would have no choice but to call the runner safe.

The on deck batter is allowed to direct the runner coming home, but they need to stay out of the way and not interfere with the players or umpires.

No, my argument is it's not an offense that warrants an objection. The on-deck batter is given an exception to be on the field. There are other players on the field that umpires run into, shall we eject them also? A simple discussion with her asking to give way to the PU is all that's needed.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No, my argument is it's not an offense that warrants an objection. The on-deck batter is given an exception to be on the field. There are other players on the field that umpires run into, shall we eject them also? A simple discussion with her asking to give way to the PU is all that's needed.

C is basically an exception to A and B. It is an allowance to leave the ODC, not a right to run on the field to recover equipment or direct a runner. The ODB is still responsible for herself and any equipment. Was it enough for an ejection, probably not. To be warned with a threat of ejection? I can see that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan