"If it happens again, you'll be out of the game"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
14u

I did not witness what the on-deck batter did during the play itself, but I did see and hear the umpire's response to her. Based on his tone, my initial assumption was that she'd done something which potentially endangered the catcher's safety.

I've watched this section of the video 10 times now and it just seems like incidental contact as the player was attempting to get in position to direct her runner from 3B. I know he has a job to do, but the umpire is part of the field and she happened not to notice him until it was too late. In your view, did this action by the player warrant an ejection warning?

https://youtu.be/iVF5r4pPnwk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Looks like they have been over coached. Not only did the on deck batter run into the umpire, another player left the dugout and came out onto the field. Not sure the umpire knew which was which. Would have expected something like an immediate dead ball, batter runner out, and warning to team. Regardless this should never happen.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2013
I don't know what in the world she was doing - looked like she intentionally ran right into him. Seemed like they were told to go out there and cause a distraction. I would have warned her too. Wonder if anything had happened earlier in the game??

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I don't know what in the world she was doing - looked like she intentionally ran right into him. Seemed like they were told to go out there and cause a distraction. I would have warned her too. Wonder if anything had happened earlier in the game??

I saw it completely opposite. To me it looked like she was watching the play and didn't realize where the umpire was. The ump looked like he pushed her which I thought was uncalled for.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
IMO....Unintentional contact. She was watching the play on the field, and didn't realize where the ump was until she was on top of him. His reaction (push) was defensive in protection of his own body. The ejection warning was based on his assumption that it was intentional.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Looked like she was either heading out to her bat before the play was over or was heading to get the bat.. either way I can't say the blue overreacted all that much after being run into while the play was still live.

And what the other girl coming out of the dugout was doing and why she was out there before the play was over...

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Looked like she was either heading out to her bat before the play was over or was heading to get the bat. It was clearly unintentional but where she was going at that time was not right.. either way I can't say the blue overreacted all that much after being run into while the play was still live.

And what the other girl coming out of the dugout was doing and why she was out there before the play was over...

Feb 3, 2011
In this instance, I agree that the onus was on the player to avoid the umpire, but at the same time, I thought his response was over-the-top. I am not sure why the other player left the dugout, so I would have no problem if there had been a team reprimand in the wake of both those things happening. For what it's worth, the umpire did not say anything to the coach at all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06