I yelled "I got it I got it I got it " From Center Field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Okay Okay already. I had it coming. You all talk like it has never happend to you. Where you said something and it was to late to take it back. You are right I didn't feel good about it.
Tonight I told the coaches how it was out of line and how sorry I was. They said they never heard a thing and didn't think it was a big deal. It won't happen again.
I also practiced tonight and didn't say a word during the whole game. When everyone asked why I was so quiet I told them I was practicing. I did good. I am on the road to recovery.
After you all spoke up I started thinking of how many sports are played that fans are yelling or distracting and nothing is ever said. Like in basketball when a foul shot is taken and everyone is making noise or waving things to try to distract the shooter. Or in baseball when the fans are waving things behind the backstop to distract the pitcher. Even in college you see all of the student section yelling and carrying on behind the basket.
My question would be that the concern should have come from the coaches not another parent. Someone told me tonight that one time he told a batting student to be atheltic while at bat. Later the coach told him he intimidated his pitcher.
I actually have seen during a game if there is a pop fly and while the catcher is running towards the sidelines to try to catch the ball the other team is saying I got it I got it. I always wondered if that was legal or not. I asked an umpire one time if that was legal and he told me that it is a judgment call if it interfered with the play. Is it written anywhere?
Apparently we are to intense and should lighten up a little.
Thank you for your comments. I would like all of you to listen at your next game to see if you can hear me from center field. Trust me, you probably won't. If you do then it's not me.

Jun 1, 2008
I'm surprised at how harsh people are being. Yeah, you were probably a d-bag at that moment who screwed up pretty badly, but I've seen worse. I wouldn't go as far as saying you should be ashamed of yourself.

I would however, call you on an interference. The offensive team/coach can be called out on an interference for verbally interfering like that, I would apply the rule to you too if I was an umpire, just for punishment and humiliation. :)

Mar 13, 2010
I wouldn't go as far as saying you should be ashamed of yourself.

I would.

Then again, at 14 I called a game as an umpire because of an a-hole parent. At my association, if you'd refused to leave one of two things would have happened. One, they would have removed your child from the game. Two, they would have forfeited the game for your child's team.

I fully support these rules. (and its ump's discresction as to what one is applied)

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Skeeterbug,

I'm happy you admitted your mistake. I'm sure we've all said things in the heat of the moment and regretted it later - I know I have. The difference between the situation you described during foul shots, etc and what you did, is you were yelling something very specific that fielders are trained to respond to. The outfielder could have thought that it was a teammate yelling and backed off of the play. Athletes will learn how to tune out general noise, but not something they're actually listening for - the other fielders.

There are probably travel teams out there that would have "asked" you and your DD to find a new team after this incident. I have a feeling my DD's may have.

I was at a High School playoff game (not our team's, just watching) the other day, and someone in the batting team's crowd did this on a pop up near home plate, right in front of their bleachers. The catcher missed the ball, and may have anyway, who knows. It sounded like a punk teen age kid, rather than a parent, but it still is pretty bush league, imho.

Jan 15, 2009
I think in general, people have a hard time adjusting from behaving the way they do in front of a TV with their buddies, and/or in the upper deck of a MLB park to how they act at a kids game. The way you acted might have drawn a chuckle from your buddies in the those situations, but when done at a youth field it's disrespectful, now you know, modify your future behaviour accordingly. I feel the same way about people who harass umpires at youth sporting games, the umpires at a MLB game gets paid sufficiently to put up with your abuse and probably never hears it anyway, the person working at your daughter's game probably umpires 99% for love of the sport and the meager money is an excuse to tell the wife why you are gone all weekend instead of mowing the lawn.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma