I yelled "I got it I got it I got it " From Center Field

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That is not okay, but it is for the coach and the umpire to deal with (and most good umpires will), not a parent outside the CF fence.

As an umpire, I wouldn't even address the issue. Coaches are responsible for their fans. If a team had a problem with this (and I assume we are discussing HS here), there is a site administrator to handle it.

Classless? Yes. Ignorant? Absolutely! Juvenille? Hard to tell nowadays, but probably yes.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Wow!
Are you a parent or a kid?

If you're a kid, you can tell that this behavior is just wrong from all the previous responses. Whiffleball or slowpich beer league- maybe.

If you're an adult (and not a Troll) - -I don't know what to say. You really should know better. You act like a jerk in CF and then think you're a big man because you don't let the TD throw you out?
You should've been arrested. seriously. sounds like you were disturbing the peace and possibly under the influence.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
As an umpire, I wouldn't even address the issue. Coaches are responsible for their fans. If a team had a problem with this (and I assume we are discussing HS here), there is a site administrator to handle it.

Classless? Yes. Ignorant? Absolutely! Juvenille? Hard to tell nowadays, but probably yes.

That comment was addressing the situation where the players are screaming from the dugout, trying to distract the pitcher.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
That comment was addressing the situation where the players are screaming from the dugout, trying to distract the pitcher.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I read "whole team" as parents since the discussion was about an alleged adult and his ridiculous actions.

May 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
I guess this is a "had to been there" situation to get the just of it. I certainly did not distract the center fielder or others around, other than the parent who's dd was on the bench. My voice carries dearly and always did. Others were cheering also.
I apologized to the Feild Director yesterday and he told me not to worry about it because even their coaches didin't even know what I did. He told me they said I was being loud but thought that I should sit at the side of the field but not to leave. You also need to remember I have sat at 100's of ball games for over 9 years and had never once been talked to. I just recently moved to center field so I would not feed off of others nor them from me. It didn't work. Now I sit in the front row next to the fence and don't say a word. The director told me that if that was the most major complaint he would get then his job will be pretty easy. I think he was trying to make me feel better.
I am a very respected individual that wrote this not to get bashed but to build upon my mistakes and so others can learn.
Two years ago during a district playoff game there was a man in center field that was carrying on, whooping and hollering. He bothered me because it was quite annoying, I yell once and this happens. I asked my brother who that guy in center field was and he didn't know. Given that situation it seems to me from this post that he should have been asked to leave because he was distracting, annoying and bothering me.
Also last year some fans kept talking to the center fielder and it did bother her. She came in and told her coach, the coach called the umpire then the Director went out and asked then not to do that. Now that is understandable.
Yup, as you can see I am not over it. It's like being pulled over for speeding, I would rather get a warning and feel like this is a lesson learned instead of a $150.00 fine. Either way I guess it is a lesson. Speeding in wrong because speed limits are posted. Cheering the wrong thing is also wrong but knowhere is a sign saying what you can or cannot say nor WHEN you can and cannot say it. And since we all grew up in perfect households we should all think and respond the same.
Thanks for helping.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I buy it that "you had to be there", but it didn't sound like you were "cheering" as opposed to harassing. I just don't understand why a parent would yell "I got it!" to a kid playing a flyball.

In a game last week, we were yelling at our girls for making bone-headed plays when they insisted they were following our orders. shortly after that we found out that there was a guy standing by the edge of the field, barking orders to the players (both teams). He was associated with neither team, just came to watch. The other coach caught him and told him to shut up. play resumed and all was well.

Mar 13, 2010
I just don't understand why a parent would yell "I got it!" to a kid playing a flyball.

Because they want her to miss the ball. There is NO other reason.

skeeterbug, you say that you realise you were wrong, but you're constantly justifying what you did. You should be thankful that you have a weak association. Most decent ones would slap you with a ban for what you did.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I read "whole team" as parents since the discussion was about an alleged adult and his ridiculous actions.

You are right, the overall post was about the parent yelling from CF. He tried to justify it by saying the opposing team was making a lot of noise during the whole game. My comment was that if the umpire felt the team was purposely trying to throw off the other team, he could find a way to deal with it. I have seen teams that time their "cheers" about halfway through the pitcher's arm circle...definitely trying to throw her off. It can sometimes work at younger ages, and good umpires will find an effective way to deal with it.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Yup, as you can see I am not over it. It's like being pulled over for speeding, I would rather get a warning and feel like this is a lesson learned instead of a $150.00 fine. Either way I guess it is a lesson. Speeding in wrong because speed limits are posted. Cheering the wrong thing is also wrong but knowhere is a sign saying what you can or cannot say nor WHEN you can and cannot say it. And since we all grew up in perfect households we should all think and respond the same.
Thanks for helping.

Common sense rule to follow: Cheering FOR a player or team is just about always OK. Rooting AGAINST, harassing, or trying to distract an opposing team or individual player (particularly a young girl) in NEVER OK.

May 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
That's fair enough. Like Barney Five said. " Here at the rock we have three rules. Rule number one, obey all rules"
When it's all said and done, there is more said than done.
Lesson learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01