I want to scream when....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
...When someone suggests to my daughter to warm up her pitching with "wrists snaps" and to be sure to "follow through with elbow pointing at the catcher and wrist to the shoulder" . Especially after they seem extremely shocked when I tell them neither one of her pitching instructors teach this way. I don't hesitate to tell them not to mess with her pitching, politely of course. :) She is working hard on the drills she has been given. And any pitching parent knows the "woes" of learning a new pitch, correcting this or that... She still has a long way to go, but the progress she has made is beginning to become more visable. After all I am taking less balls to the shins, LOL. Maybe I am just getting better at catching.

Does any one else have this issue? Also feel free to post what makes you want to scream.

Apr 25, 2010
I understand your frustration about the wrist snaps and hello elbow suggestions. Thankfully, DD is old enough where she tells people, "I don't do those. Never have."

It drives me nuts to hear a coach tell his pitcher "Just throw strikes". DD's coach did that last year and it just about made me insane. Thankfully, she told me that she just translates it into "hit my spots".

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
My DD can be a little shy so usually she just gives them the "are you talking to me" look. It's good that your DD is able to translate what he is trying to get across into something that she understands. Alot of people around here are so focused on speed and nothing else. My DD is small for her age, one of the smallest on her team. Thankfully her local pitching coach is an averaged sized woman about 5'6". She reminds my DD quite a bit that she was small growing up too so she had to rely on movement rather than speed. I love that. And they guy we travel to see once a month is amazing. She always feels so good about pitching when she leaves his lessons. I hope my DD continues to find confidence in herself so that she will translate what the coach is saying into a positive in her mind. Thanks!

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
The runner on 1st base is having a joyful conversation with the 1st base coach instead of getting her steal signal from me.

The batter actually bunts the ball after I give & she confirms the "fake bunt" call.

The batter swings at a ball in the dirt on a 3-0 count after I give & she confirms the "take a pitch" call.

But most of all...i wanted to scream two weeks ago when the other team continued their 24/7 non-stop loud obnoxious cheering while I was tending to our injured pitcher on the mound....[OT: I know cheering is a "part of the game" but do it with class. There's a serious problem in my book when they are cheering during an injury timeout...and also when the coach is cheering along with them in the dugout. Really Guy? You too? You too need to cheer loudly while my DD is in her windup?]

Nov 14, 2011
When our coach from last year's team shouted "You got to protect" every time a batter had 2 strikes on them. We called him Caption MOTO for (Master Of The Obvious). I can see him saying it once or twice a game, but we counted him saying it 8 times in one game. Drove all the parents and players crazy!

May 22, 2012
DD plays for a tourney team and works out at a facility with "guest" hitting coaches. I want to scream when they say knob to the ball, or swing down!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad