I saw my first TRIPLE PLAY!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Last night DD's HS team played their arch rival in conference. For the past 10+ years these 2 teams have butted heads for the conference title and have ALWAYS had very very close games.

In the top of the 6th the rival had gotten the bases loaded with 0 outs; batter hits a HARD line drive to deep center field that looks to be over the head of center fielder;
* Center fielder makes a leaping catch - 1 out
* Center fielder to short stop at 2nd base to catch runner off base - 2 out
* Short stop sees that there is no time to get runner on first, but runner on 3 is trying to get back so she makes the throw to third, not in time... Runner on 1st thought there were 3 outs and is walking across the field so third baseman tags her in the pitching circle - 3 out

It wasn't pretty but a triple play none the less!

In case you wonder, bottom of 6 DD's team scores and holds them in top of 7 for the victory!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nice.

I can see how the runner on 2nd might be doubled off, but the other 2 runners need some coaching.

Sounds like the smarter Team won this one.

Jan 24, 2012
My DGD made an unassited triple play in 10u rec. Admitted, poor base running. She caught a line drive at short, tagged runner leaving second, ran to second and taqged runner comming from first.

Real smart coaching!!!!Everyone should have went back to tag because if she would have not caught it they would still have scored at least two and since she did they would have scored one with one out.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Real smart coaching!!!!everyone should have went back to tag because if she would have not caught it they would still have scored!!

easier said then done. sure you can coach it but sometime your players don't listen, especially in rec.

few years ago in rec we had basesloaded none out and best hitter up. Like clockwork she hits a rocket linedrive to 3b who is standing a foot from the base, catches it steps on 3rd for the easy double play as runner on 3rd properly got a good secondary on release and despite 3B coach yelling "BACK" as loud as possible oblivious runner on 2nd running head down on contact for some reason runs right into tag at 3B. Good times.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Everyone should have been ready to tag. All of the runners are TB players and know better. The runner on 2 just led off a little too far and the runner on first somehow got the idea that there were already 3 outs (before her). The only player on defense that isn't a TB player was the center fielder.

The game was in the top of the 6th with score tied at 4. These are rival teams that are intimidated by each other, the players are tense, the parents are tense and vocal, the coaches are tense and vocal. It was a recipe for disaster and disaster happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying