(I/R drill) Softball w/hole drilled out to fit a broom handle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The one I showed Chris uses pipe insulation... I think he mentioned this in his first post on the subject. It's merely an aid I use to help kids that push the ball down the circle, learn to pull it down. Sluggers is right, you don't want it too long... you also benefit from wearing shorts when using it. If the foam touches the back thigh, she's early. If it DOESN'T touch the front of the thigh, she's late.

Originally it was just a visual aid for parents to see the foam pointing to first and third... but it also offers some physical feedback. My orinal application of it was to teach kids to get their hand on top of the ball early... and not "wipe the wall" over the top. Encorages a good hook formation. Like the football, it's more about a quick dose of medicine... than a long one.

Actually found this idea on here... can't remember where. The only mod I made was to have the foam coming out both sides of the ball... having them horizontally oriented as opposed to vertical... patent is pending... ;)

Edit: It also throws really well... allowing you to see the axis. One note... your feet (especially the back foot) need to be at 45's.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Isn't this producing Bullet Spin and we want overspin?

Semi-bullet spin is desirable for a kid just learning to whip. Once they can whip well in full motion; it's easy enough to move on to a drop, change and eventually the rise. The goal is to teach good mechanics, then teach the spins.

Mar 20, 2015
OK Makes sense. My 9 year old started from the beginning with IR that we learned on DFP but she threw bullet spin for the first year. We worked together on transitioning her to overspin but she still throws bullet spin 1 out of 10 sometimes more. She can still throw perfect bullet spin anytime she wants. To transition to better overspin is it simply focusing on rolling the forearm over more near release?

Jun 19, 2013
Semi-bullet spin is desirable for a kid just learning to whip. Once they can whip well in full motion; it's easy enough to move on to a drop, change and eventually the rise. The goal is to teach good mechanics, then teach the spins.

Ken when you say "semi-bullet" are you talking about the slightly off center 12-6 aka 1-7?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken when you say "semi-bullet" are you talking about the slightly off center 12-6 aka 1-7?

I think 1/7 to around 2/8 seems to be the goal, but during the beginning stages of learning whip, I break out the dot ball and see if they can get the feel for spiral.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
OK Makes sense. My 9 year old started from the beginning with IR that we learned on DFP but she threw bullet spin for the first year. We worked together on transitioning her to overspin but she still throws bullet spin 1 out of 10 sometimes more. She can still throw perfect bullet spin anytime she wants. To transition to better overspin is it simply focusing on rolling the forearm over more near release?

Make your focus on getting to the Frenchman's kiss position... finishing above the belly button, with a straight arm... PALM DOWN. Search up Frenchman's Kiss on this site... and you'll see plenty of examples.

If you post a video of her throwing from the side and behind, we can help you more.

Mar 20, 2015
Thanks to everyone, I will read up on it tonight. This site is awesome. I will definitely post a video of her throwing at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet