I/R, Brushing and the screwball??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
Should a pitcher that pitches IR, and naturally brushes, be brushing when throwing a screwball?

DD was struggling with hers a little tonight. She said something about her arm hitting into her in a weird way, So I said to try throwing it with no brush. Told her to try really stepping out more to her left and just swoop her arm in close to her body , and viola, a good screwball. She threw like 5 in a row that way and all were good. (I'll add that she's just 10 and has not yet mastered this pitch, but was looking more consistent tonight once she avoided the brush)
Looking for guidance on if this is ok or not.

The screwball should be thrown with brush.......one of the #1 killers of pitching mechanics and brush is the incorrectly thrown screwball. I would be careful with not getting brush on the screwball.....it will bleed over into all your pitches. Chances are that in order for DD to miss brush she had to disconnect her upper torso from her lower torso (bend at the waist and lean toward 3rd)........this will destroy the mechanics on her other pitches.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Without brush, your DD won't be able to find the c strike zone v with a GPS and a compass.

There is quite a bit of doubt that anyone (including advanced pitchers) can put screwball spin on the ball. So, destroying you DD's pitching motion to throw this pitch doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2014
Does anyone have a video if a screwball thrown with brush? DD is having a hard time visualizing where the contact would take place.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your DD is 10YOA...it is a running joke about daddies who think their 10YOA kid has six pitches.

Your DD should concentrate on learning control, a change and then a drop.

I know it is hard to believe, but control is much more important than movement or speed. Good control isn't much when bragging with other daddies, but your DD strike out a lot of batters and pitch a lot.

Ray

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
We won't let ours throw a screwball. I don't think it's worth the risk of injury at that age. She likes playing around with an off speed fast ball. It's very effective.

Apr 12, 2015
If you want a "screwball" at 10u, just line up as far left on the rubber as possible and throw to the right corner of the plate for a RHB, and vice versa for a LHB. The angle the ball is thrown will give it a "screwball" appearance even though it is just a regular pitch.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
I think there is a difference between saying DD has a screw and DD works/is learning a screwball. One implies command in a game and the later implies learning whether tried in a game or not.
Some PCs exposed kids to pitches because of the amount of time it takes to master. For example, Rick advised getting the girls to work the Riseball spin. He's not saying throw it in a game or even practice it in full motion; just start mastering the spin.
DD is 11 and works a screw. When it's on - it's a great pitch. She's learning and trying in games, often used when you have a pitch to waste. yes- it actually moves. Does she still need to work accuracy with her FB and Change - you bet. SHE'S 11. But working other pitches also keeps it interesting for the pitcher.

I'd also like to see some video of high level pitchers throwing a screw. It would help us determine where we can make improvements while we continually work her bread and butter pitches.

Oct 16, 2014
Your DD is 10YOA...it is a running joke about daddies who think their 10YOA kid has six pitches.

Your DD should concentrate on learning control, a change and then a drop.

I know it is hard to believe, but control is much more important than movement or speed. Good control isn't much when bragging with other daddies, but your DD strike out a lot of batters and pitch a lot.

Ray

Yes I know the joke.

She has good control and a change and drop. Which is why she wants to try the screw. And honestly I don't think it's her pitch and I doubt she'll really throw it in games. But she is interested in this stuff. Figuring out how it all works. She is 10 about to turn 11 and will move up to 12u in fall. She has 3 pitches that she works pretty well (fastball , change and drop) but is just interested in seeing what else she may be able to add at some point. Trying new stuff

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2014
I think there is a difference between saying DD has a screw and DD works/is learning a screwball. One implies command in a game and the later implies learning whether tried in a game or not.
Some PCs exposed kids to pitches because of the amount of time it takes to master. For example, Rick advised getting the girls to work the Riseball spin. He's not saying throw it in a game or even practice it in full motion; just start mastering the spin.
DD is 11 and works a screw. When it's on - it's a great pitch. She's learning and trying in games, often used when you have a pitch to waste. yes- it actually moves. Does she still need to work accuracy with her FB and Change - you bet. SHE'S 11. But working other pitches also keeps it interesting for the pitcher.

I'd also like to see some video of high level pitchers throwing a screw. It would help us determine where we can make improvements while we continually work her bread and butter pitches.

Thanks yes this exactly. :)

So no one has a video of any input on how to throw the screwball with brush contact?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06