I need some guidance - HS coach wants to change daughter from pitcher to catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I'm surprised this is even a question. I've seen some strange things in HS ball, and heard / read about many others. This is a new one.

May 17, 2012
It's not uncommon if you don't have a catcher to move the most athletic kid to catcher. You have to have a catcher.

It is unusual (and unwise) to move one of your pitchers that has collegiate aspirations.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Yes, she will play after high school. She has had a couple mid-major D-1 offers to pitch so far this summer.

If so, then tell the coach no. Your DD doesn't need HS softball. You would think that a pitcher with D-1 offers would be the number #1 pitcher on a HS team. The coach should be looking for another player to step up and catch.

Jun 19, 2013
If so, then tell the coach no. Your DD doesn't need HS softball. You would think that a pitcher with D-1 offers would be the number #1 pitcher on a HS team. The coach should be looking for another player to step up and catch.

This is what I was thinking. Our recently graduated committed D1 pitcher didn't hit, didn't run bases, only practiced pitching on her own terms - no one was risking her having any sort of injury. She had one job and one job only. Don't see why coach would even consider this unless he has 3 other D1 pitchers ahead of her?? Seems like an easy no thank you to me.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
How often will she be pitching? Seems strange that you'd want a primary pitcher to catch even if she had experience catching.

I'm normally about players doing what is best for the team and not using HS sports merely to achieve their personal goals, but in this case, we're got someone who has never caught before. That's the key here for me.

Feb 7, 2013
Last year my 14yo pitching DD was asked to catch a couple of games in JV, when not pitching. She had recently given up travel ball, will not be playing in college, and had some experience catching before in rec league (10u?) so she and I had no problem with it. If she was playing competitively or this was Varsity the answer would have been "No" with a respectful conversation with the head coach why she shouldn't catch.

My DD actually enjoyed it but she did say it took awhile to get used the swing and misses and still catch the ball.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Naturally, I can't speak for all coaches but if you had your dd come to me with her concerns, there is no way in heck that I would force her to be a catcher. This past year, our catcher quit the week before we started playing. We were told at the time that it was a parent thing. So, I had to find a catcher and didn't have anyone who had ever caught. I asked a young lady who I knew was both smart and tough to do it. She agreed and did a fantastic job. You have to make this person comfortable, understand that they don't know anything about the position and accept the mistakes that are sure to come. It would be hard to do that to a pitcher since they are hard to come by.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles