I got nothing, so I decided to post it here

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It gets over the top when the winning team adds "We are proud of you"

We had that happen in a LL tournament game where a bigger and better team did that to our team after they beat us. I politely declined the players tunnel. Got feed back after the game that parents didn't understand why. Oh will...

Was so tempted to do it to them after we beat them in the finals.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Haven't seen the tunnel in a long time. I'm surprised anyone is still doing it. I campaigned against it back in the day.

I find it insulting. As I've said before, if you want to celebrate your win, do it on your side of the field. I used to tell my players to go a different way. And we did not do the tunnel when we won. We simply shook hands and moved on.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Had that happen to us when I had an 8u team. Our dugout hd two entrances. We went in the other gate. I didn't like it and thought it was demeaning. I'm sure the other team didn't mean bad from it but I didn't like it and thankfully have not seen one before or since.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We travel up into the bible belt area and run into teams that want to get the "two team prayer circle" going which REALLY doesn't work for us since our team is made up of players who can represent pretty much the entire "Coexist" bumper sticker you see on cars.

We just walk back to our dugout and get ready for the next game.

Oh yeah, and I hate the whole tunnel thing. It is stupid even in 8U rec.
And it is REALLY stupid when the parents do it for their kids. That is extra stupid.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Fortunately I have never seen a tunnel.

No prayer circles up here either. Folks consider their religion a private matter. Politics, too.
DD 3 is spending tonight at her friend's house, the daughter of a minister. DD 3 never asked what denomination. That would be intrusive.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Recently received email:

"Good Afternoon,

Just played against your 8U All Stars. Good game but at game end instead of making a regular tunnel into dugout your players held arms at waist level and asked our girls to crawl back to dugout because we lost. Very demeaning and unsportsmanlike.

Thank you,

Unhappy Mom"

Dear Unhappy Mom,

I am truly sorry you feel that way. It was never their intention to demean anyone. I absolutely agree that the perception of unsportsmanlike behavior on our part is something that should, and will be addressed immediately. The next time we play your DD's team and beat them again, I'll make sure that their hands will be held as high as possible so that your DD's team can walk back to the dugout hanging their heads with dignity. In the meantime, I'd like to make it up to your DD if at all possible. Please send me your address so I can send her a participation trophy and ribbon.

Thank you,
Kick A$$ Coach

ETA: I never was a fan of the tunnels or prayer circles after a game. High five the line and/or shake hands and get off the field.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2015
Tunnels stink! When DD was little it always seemed like the team making the tunnel was very gleeful(as in rubbing it in your face we won!) and the team that had to go through the tunnel had their head down and was being punished/borderline embarrassed about the loss. We only experienced this a couple times before everyone on the field including the coaches saw this and put an end to it, thank goodness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
For some odd reason my DD who hates cheers always loved the tunnels.

I'm guessing that at an 8U All-Star game that if the losing girls had to crawl had 2 thoughts.

1. Cool my uniform is getting even dirtier.
2. I wonder what the snack will be.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
LMAO

I remember the tunnels. My Firebirds team went through a whole heck of a lot of them. Then we beat out the first place team at a Tournament of Champions Little League game. That team actually dodged the tunnel and went around the other opening of the dugout. It was so pathetic. Here they loved to do it to us all season, but when we did it, whole different poor sportsmanship. It was actually the best night of our softball lives.

Yea I hated tunnels............

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA