Hypothetical pitching rotation question.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2013
Hey I respect that, Differing opinions are what keeps this interesting and why we play the games.. I guess I just see both junkballer and flamethrower as equal strengths.not 1 or 2. And going by Both my DDs teams throwing Heat against those teams is very rarely a good idea. I would think a opposing coach would appreciate knowing that before they dig a hole they cant climb out of.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hey I respect that, Differing opinions are what keeps this interesting and why we play the games.. I guess I just see both junkballer and flamethrower as equal strengths.not 1 or 2. And going by Both my DDs teams throwing Heat against those teams is very rarely a good idea. I would think a opposing coach would appreciate knowing that before they dig a hole they cant climb out of.

If my ace had thrown 2 games earlier in the day and was tiring, I start #2 and hold #1 in reserve as long as I can regardless of who is the flamethrower or junkballer. The OP stated that the ace in this case was the flamethrower.

Feb 3, 2011
Play to your strengths, yes, but I see nothing wrong with scouting the opponent. We've had success going in both directions, which is the great thing about having plenty of solid pitching on the roster when there is no absolute, shutdown ace. Having fresh arms late on Sunday is a huge advantage.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
This is exactly what we did, but unfortunately we did not have a quick enough "hook" and we were down 0-6 with one out in the second inning after #2 pitcher game up a grand slam. Ended up losing 6-8. #1 pitched well when she came in, but she ran out of gas after 5 innings and gave up three bloop singles and we had a fielding error to give up the extra two runs.....this game ended up being for a berth to nationals when our tournament was cut short by rain on Sunday. Crappy way to lose, and the coaching staff has been "second guessing" ourselves ever since! LOL

If both girls are in the field you can substitute. Our #1 and #2 play 1B and P so they are both out there. If one is more effective against a portion of the order then we can swap them during the innings with no problems. They only get one warm up time per inning so they do not hold up the game. Nobody really run's out of gas. Plays hell with the stats if you are not on computer.

Granted we have never used it but we have the option in long tourneys.

May 13, 2013
I think I remember hearing during one of the regionals last weekend (do not remember what game) that it is harder to adjust to slower pitching. It was on one of those games where the ace was pitching 65-70 and the young lady they brought in was 58-62 with a 45 mph changeup.

Granted that may only be the case at that level as opposed to however old your girls are.

Oct 22, 2009
I know from experience my hitters preferred to face faster pitchers than the slower ones. With faster pitchers, timing seemed to be easier to adjust to, especially fast pitchers with no off-speed. A couple of foul balls or balls just put into play, fired up the team and before long good contact was being made.

As for the slower pitchers, timing took longer, usually 2x through the order.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors