HS Sports vs. Travel Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
When you join a team, the team is counting on you being there and participating to the best of your ability. If due to other commitments you are unable to be counted on then you should not be on that team.

I am not a fan of any sports team that makes a year round commitment mandatory, especially for kids who aren't even in HS yet. How do kids figure out what they like if they are only allowed to do one thing. Sure they love it, its their only option.

I don't know if there would be any conflicts. Maybe there would be... maybe there wouldn't. My DD wants to play school sports other than softball, but in her mind softball and her TB team comes first. Basically, she wouldn't have a problem missing a school sport for softball. She considers herself a softball player who can plays other sports. After volleyball practice (middle school) she goes home and works on her batting or pitching... not her digs, sets or serves.

From some comments it sounds like HS soccer/ volleyball/ whatever in season if you are on the team should be the priority, even if you are really a year round softball player, and if you can't commit to the school sport %100 or make it the main priority then you shouldn't do it as it isn't fair to everyone else. While I definitely get the team concept, I want to think if her coach/team know what her priority is and if she is willing to accept consequences for missing things then she should be able to play both and just take whatever consequences are given. If she needed to study for a test instead of volleyball practice or a game; she would definitely miss the practice or game. (I doubt I could keep her out of a softball game without a fight and tears).

Oct 18, 2009
Holy cow, is there no room in a child's life to do something other than "play softball"?

A kid is a teenager only once in her life. If she has the opportunity to play HS sports, she should do so. She can't go back at 23YOA and play one game of HS volleyball or one set of HS tennis. If a child is blessed enough to be able to play multiple sports, she should do it.

There are things she can get out of HS sports that she won't get from playing travel ball:

1) Interviews by the local newspaper.
2) Her stats in the newspaper each week.
3) Her name announced over the PA system at school.
4) Wearing the "team clothing" the day of the game.
5) Have her class teachers tell her how great she was in yesterday's game.

Heaven forbid that a child should have fun playing sports. Don't they know how serious it is?

Actually sluggers... part of the reason I started this thread was your response to that one thread. I know my DD wants to play other school sports... but only to fill her time when she isn't playing softball. If we were in that same situation I really think my DD would miss the soccer game and take whatever consequences given to her. But if it was really that taboo to miss HS sports for something else; maybe she wouldn't sign up.

1) School activities take priority over non-school activities. End of story.

2) She agreed to play soccer and she made a commitment. It is the middle of the season. For her to walk out on her obligations at this time to her teammates to go play in a showcase tournament is simply not acceptable.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We really don't have the conflict you guys are mentioning. My DD and her friends play HS volleyball, HS soccer, HS basketball, HS softball and TB softball. ( in our state you can't play TB and HS softball at the same seasonal time ) I think it's great the kids want to represent their school and community. Sure softball is their #1 sport, but its good to be well rounded and not get tunnel vision or burned out.

As long as it's a once or twice deal going to a college recruitment, they really work with you. Just give them the dates up front, and don't be stupid like going during HS playoffs or something.

Oct 21, 2009
My DD just started 7th grade. We are a small school, K-6 in one building 7-12 in another. She plays TB Softball and wanted to go out for the soccer team. The coach really wanted her to play soccer. I was very up front with him and told him, I am paying for softball and really could give two squirts about soccer ( I hate soccer) but if she wanted to play and he knew softball was our first priority, we would have no problems. Also she is an honor student and plays in band, but knew if the grades start to suffer soccer would be the first extra curicular to be dropped. I do not condone quitting and I understand that you made a commitment to a team and that others are counting on you. That is one lesson I think sports teaches kids, but soccer was last in so it would be first out.
She had missed a practice due to an Orhtodontist appointment and needed it to have the mandatory number of practices before their first game on Thursday. He had a "makeup practice" Sunday after she had a tournament which she did attend. She is starting at midfield. Don't know what that means, but I will go and support her.

Oct 18, 2009
Typically showcases are hours away. Depending on the team she might have to sit at least one game as well for missing meaning she probably wouldn't play that Saturday and maybe even Sunday. Is it worth pissing off your travel coach for a sport you aren't dedicated to? The fact you are on a showcase team means you probably intend to try and play after HS. I guess it goes back to the original question. Do you play another sport if there is a possibility there might be one or two conflicts?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD just started 7th grade. We are a small school, K-6 in one building 7-12 in another. She plays TB Softball and wanted to go out for the soccer team. The coach really wanted her to play soccer. I was very up front with him and told him, I am paying for softball and really could give two squirts about soccer ( I hate soccer) but if she wanted to play and he knew softball was our first priority, we would have no problems. Also she is an honor student and plays in band, but knew if the grades start to suffer soccer would be the first extra curicular to be dropped. I do not condone quitting and I understand that you made a commitment to a team and that others are counting on you. That is one lesson I think sports teaches kids, but soccer was last in so it would be first out.
She had missed a practice due to an Orhtodontist appointment and needed it to have the mandatory number of practices before their first game on Thursday. He had a "makeup practice" Sunday after she had a tournament which she did attend. She is starting at midfield. Don't know what that means, but I will go and support her.

You don't know what midfield is but you hate the sport? How can you hate something you know nothing about?

Jan 31, 2011
Every situation is different and unique. My DD needs the fall exposure because in Iowa we play HS ball in the summer. While all of the other Gold level teams are playing in big time summer events, she is playing HS ball. So, fall exposure tourneys is THE ONLY answer.

HS coaches look out for "number 1", so why shouldn't you & your DD?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Every situation is different and unique. My DD needs the fall exposure because in Iowa we play HS ball in the summer.

I've never heard of this ever in a school system. Can you explain the months involved? Are you talking about March-April-May-June like we play in the south? Or a true summer HS season? Just asking cause I'd like to understand your post.

Nov 1, 2009
This one is pretty simple. If she committed to her HS then she plays on that team. The TB team is a club level team and quite frankly ALL school activities come before club ball. If you are not ready to commit to your school then don't go out for the team.

Jan 31, 2011
I've never heard of this ever in a school system. Can you explain the months involved? Are you talking about March-April-May-June like we play in the south? Or a true summer HS season? Just asking cause I'd like to understand your post.

Iowa plays summer softball. May 26th was the first game & our state championship is usually the 3 week in July. Seriously, Iowa is the only state that does this. College recruitment passes us by every year unless our kids take their future in their own hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball