HS Softball Started

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Varsity has already played 20 games (or is that a sum of all 3 teams)? Our entire regular season is only 20 games.

In Texas the season starts mid-January and ends around mid/late April. And then Playoffs. Most programs in Texas play 6-8 scrimmage games starting in late January and then play 2-3 HS tourneys (12-18 games) plus a few non-district games (3). This part of the schedule was over Saturday and district begins tonight for most teams (14 games is typical). Playoffs start the last week of April. Last year we played 45-50 games in HS.

JV will typically play 30-35 games
Freshman teams might play 20-24 games

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In Texas the season starts mid-January and ends around mid/late April. And then Playoffs. Most programs in Texas play 6-8 scrimmage games starting in late January and then play 2-3 HS tourneys (12-18 games) plus a few non-district games (3). This part of the schedule was over Saturday and district begins tonight for most teams (14 games is typical). Playoffs start the last week of April. Last year we played 45-50 games in HS.

JV will typically play 30-35 games
Freshman teams might play 20-24 games

Wow. In CT season starts mid March. We squeeze the 20 games in a month and a half (3/30 to 5/13), then conference playoffs, then state playoffs, all wrapped by early June. So last year, 26 games total, plus 2 scrims.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Wow. In CT season starts mid March. We squeeze the 20 games in a month and a half (3/30 to 5/13), then conference playoffs, then state playoffs, all wrapped by early June. So last year, 26 games total, plus 2 scrims.
It is similar in VA. Limited to 20 regular season games. Plus playoffs, which could add up to another 9 games, depending on how you were seeded. We play our first scrimmage game on Thursday. Was supposed to be last Saturday but got rained out. Regular season starts next week.

May 29, 2015

Illinois' high school season is similar. First games are next week with state coming shortly after school is out for the summer.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Illinois' high school season is similar. First games are next week with state coming shortly after school is out for the summer.
I believe that Illinois teams can schedule 34 games. I know it is significantly more than 20 games. We start next week.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
On Long Island, we get a max of 19 regular season league or non-league games scheduled by our local section, depending on the school size. Coaches can schedule other NL games and scrimmages, but not everyone does. We then go to double elimination playoffs. We will be done with the regular season by May 9th, and the playoffs for the county will be done a week or so later. Then, if you're lucky, you go to the LI Championship, followed by the States. Our season will be done by May 15th.

Considering how few schools have decent pitching, even 18 games in 50 days is a stretch.

Feb 7, 2014
First game of the season this afternoon. 13 girls which is all that came out in a school of about 500. DD is freshman P and will probably see a pretty heavy load this year. Anxious, but excited. She's put in a lot of work.

I think one of the best things to do at this age level is go to games. College games to see how far you might can go, and rec / middle school to see how far you've come to get to this point.

I don't think she's figured out yet that all the practices and lessons and everything is just so I can spend as much time with her as possible. She enjoys the game and I'm excited to see what's possible in this next 4 years, either way we'll enjoy the ride.

Sounds like a great reason for softball.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD started 7th grade this year which is the first year they are eligible for school ball in SC. Went to her middle school tryouts and the coach said you don't belong here. Goes to high school tryout the next day and made varsity. coach said id rather have her develop with me than JV. We've had two jamborees and shes played a bunch so hopefully she will get some playing time once regular season start next week. DD is physically gifted so she looks and can hopefully play the part, but the age gap and the bus ride conversations are concerning.

All depends on the team, but your DD would be on the bench for years at our high school. Again, no idea what yours is like but best to have low expectations for playing time and be pleasantly surprised. I've watched a lot of parents stress a ton about high school playing time.

Feb 7, 2014
All depends on the team, but your DD would be on the bench for years at our high school. Again, no idea what yours is like but best to have low expectations for playing time and be pleasantly surprised. I've watched a lot of parents stress a ton about high school playing time.
Yes, every team is different... one down the road from me has 12 young ladies. Nine are Sophomores or younger.

*And I think they'll be competitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi