HS Softball Started

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 21, 2022
My DD's tryouts start today. It's a struggle to get enough girls to field a Varsity and JV team. Her school has roughly 2000 students (9-12), so I'm always amazed the lack of girls trying out. Her school is a powerhouse in soccer, football, girls basketball, and most sports actually.... except softball sadly.

May 20, 2016
Ours starts next week. Will be oldest DD's senior season. Younger is a sophomore and playing on varsity this year. Been waiting a while for this year to see them play together. Their coach is pretty bad though. They'll do fine as older DD is the pitcher even though she's a CF in club. They go to a tiny school, barely have enough to field a varsity team. Only 275 kids from 9-12.

Jul 15, 2021
In Montana, we start a week from Monday (the 11th). We have already had our pre-season meetings and it looks like we'll have 24 players. Not bad for a HS enrollment of only 228. Much better than the 11 or 12 player rosters we had when I first started. Only about 11 (possibly 12 by post-season) will ever see any varsity time, so JV will roster 13 since we decided not to cut anyone. I still think 13 is too many since JV games are typically only 3 to 4 innings (due to time), but JV is about development so the decision was made to keep everyone. Our JV coaches will have their work cut out for them trying to find playing time for that 12th and 13th player, though.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
In Montana, we start a week from Monday (the 11th). We have already had our pre-season meetings and it looks like we'll have 24 players. Not bad for a HS enrollment of only 228. Much better than the 11 or 12 player rosters we had when I first started. Only about 11 (possibly 12 by post-season) will ever see any varsity time, so JV will roster 13 since we decided not to cut anyone. I still think 13 is too many since JV games are typically only 3 to 4 innings (due to time), but JV is about development so the decision was made to keep everyone. Our JV coaches will have their work cut out for them trying to find playing time for that 12th and 13th player, though.
Welcome, Burt! Eastern? Central? Western? Montana. Having spent a couple years there, I see how there are some long bus rides to games.

Jul 15, 2021
Welcome, Burt! Eastern? Central? Western? Montana. Having spent a couple years there, I see how there are some long bus rides to games.

Thanks! I've lurked here for awhile. I'm in the East, and you aren't kidding about the long bus rides. We're Class B and our closest conference opponent is 260 miles away. We have a handful of Class A teams that are a bit more manageable. They're "only" 125 to 200 miles away. :D

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Thanks! I've lurked here for awhile. I'm in the East, and you aren't kidding about the long bus rides. We're Class B and our closest conference opponent is 260 miles away. We have a handful of Class A teams that are a bit more manageable. They're "only" 125 to 200 miles away. :D
Holy cow! I knew it's like that, but it's still mind boggling to hear.

Jul 15, 2021
Holy cow! I knew it's like that, but it's still mind boggling to hear.

Yep, as a guy who grew up in east TX where there was a school our size every 25 miles, it was eye opening. Our rivals back home were 5 and 20 miles away. Here they are 50 and 70 miles away. Unfortunately, they dont field softball teams.

Where were you when in MT?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yep, as a guy who grew up in east TX where there was a school our size every 25 miles, it was eye opening. Our rivals back home were 5 and 20 miles away. Here they are 50 and 70 miles away. Unfortunately, they dont field softball teams.

Where were you when in MT?
Are those overnight trips?

Jul 15, 2021
Are those overnight trips?

We do have overnighters a handful of times a year. Our conference is spread from the east slopes of the Rockies all the way to the North Dakota border. All the teams in the conference meet at one complex (we host it every two out of three yrs, the third yr we host the conference tourney). With all conference teams at one place, every team can play 2 games on both Friday and Saturday and get nearly half their conference games in at one time. It makes it easier on us since we're on a softball island way out here in the northeast. The other schools have teams nearby...four in the Billings area, and four along the east slopes...so they can get their other half of conference games in more easily.

We also go to Lewistown for an overnighter to play four Class A schools from the south and central, and to Cut Bank to play four teams west of the Rockies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06