HS ball, 1B/F3 contacting b/r

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
One of our runners sustained a serious knee injury after the fielder, standing squarely behind the base and moved further into foul territory to field the ball.
Seeing a lot of this in HS ball, F3 standing in an awkward position, either forcing the runner to deviate into foul territory after touching base, or flat out obstructing the base.
Seems like a coaching void, re-training fielder(and runner somewhat) how to position on the single-base which they are not familiar with.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
On doubles you could call the 1st basemen for obstruction every time.

I am not sure the 1st basemen should play the base any different between a single and double base. Do you think they should?

Nov 29, 2009
One of our runners sustained a serious knee injury after the fielder, standing squarely behind the base and moved further into foul territory to field the ball.

Really not understanding this. What I think I get is the fielder was in the act of fielding a ball. Was it a throw in from RF trying to get the runner at 1st? Nothing unusual there. If it was a batted ball the runner needs to avoid the fielder.

Can you give some more details?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Really not understanding this. What I think I get is the fielder was in the act of fielding a ball. Was it a throw in from RF trying to get the runner at 1st? Nothing unusual there. If it was a batted ball the runner needs to avoid the fielder.

Can you give some more details?

Throw from OF, yes. IIRC was RF Fielder already standing directly behind the base so b/r has to deviate to avoid contact.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
What I'm seeing a fair amount of is: fielder sets up with two feet on the back of the bag, so though there is no obstruction of the b/r to the bag, there is no place to go on the overrun even with a good throw. Also seeing them straddle the bag facing SS and take up most of the bag this way. This probably works OK with double bag, creates a problem with the single. @Quincy to your point, this could be a bad habit causing the problem rather than necessarily a different technique being required. I do see this as a coaching problem though.

What I expect in this situation(and I'm hardly an expert) is: fielder picks a corner closest the ball, contacts bag with one foot and stretches to the throw, leaving most of the bag for b/r to run through.

The throw going into foul territory in this example just muddies the water, I should have left that out since any time the ball goes there, all bets are off and contact can occur regardless where the fielder set up.

There is always the distinct possibility that I'm FOC, but I just haven't seen much problem with b/r and F3 getting tangled up until recently.

Aug 18, 2014
Seeing a lot of this in HS ball, F3 standing in an awkward position, either forcing the runner to deviate into foul territory after touching base, or flat out obstructing the base.
Seems like a coaching void, re-training fielder(and runner somewhat) how to position on the single-base which they are not familiar with.

I have been watching baseball for way too long now and have absolutely no idea what F3 is referring to

Edit: I guess you are referring to 3 being the first baseman? as in 6-4-3 double play? .

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would like to point out that in HS ball you have a lot of fielders playing positions they have never played before and a lot of sub-par coaching....

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
A first baseman or F3 standing on top of or straddling the bag without a throw headed to them should be considered blocking of the base similar to any other base. A F3 standing in the way like that is going to get steamrolled until she learns to not do it (not saying I condone this type of action just stating what I've seen). Umpires will make the correct call if they are good at what they do, are paying attention and even know what's going on.

I watched a F3 stand right on top of 1b with no play going there to slow the runner down on an easy double. Looking at it the first time it worked well, girl thrown out at 2b and coach complaining. Next time it didn't work out so well, F3 on the ground, runner at 2b and the other coach complaining. This is a nasty game from 14U up at times. I'm just glad it wasn't my team on either side of it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I highly encourage everyone to promote the use of a safety bag. IMHO there is no excuse not to have one.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I highly encourage everyone to promote the use of a safety bag. IMHO there is no excuse not to have one.

I agree that the double base should be the standard...however...

(1) High school budget may be so tight that if it's a decision between a new tacking dummy (boys) and a double bag (girls), guess who wins...
(2) Colleges don't use safety bags...
(3) Even with the orange safety bag, travel ball and HS coaches alike teach their runners to run inside the diamond until the last possible second...might as well not even have the running lane...still waiting for a catcher to start drilling girls in the back...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi