How would you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD's rec league is starting back up. Her travel team is not playing for a couple months. She wanted to play her final year of LL, so I signed her up. So far, so good. This past year, she has worked really hard on leg drive off the mound when pitching. The field her LL uses has pitching rubbers set at 35', 40' and 43'. The other night was her first practice on the field in quite a while. You guessed it, she is landing right on the 35' pitching rubber. I watched her foot slip twice before asking the coach to move her back to 43'. So now I figure I have a few options. 1. Ask the league to remove the 35' pitching rubber when not in use. (doubtful they will do it) 2. Have my DD pitch from 43' while the rest of the league throws 40' 3. Let her just play the field for LL and keep pitching on the side for TB season. I do not want to come acroos to the league as one of those TB parents who think his DD is better than the other kids. I also don't want her to blow a knee or hamstring. Not one other pitcher in the league will have an issue with the pitching rubber. Any suggestions?

May 18, 2009
The pitching rubber should be pulled from all but the place where pitcher is pitching. It's a matter of safety. If a line drive is hit at your DD and it bounces off the front rubber there is possible law suit actions involved. I would discuss it as a fielding hazard and see if there is leverage there.

May 25, 2010
If my daughter had this problem and we were not permitted to remove the 35' rubber which shouldn't be there when not in use, then I would not let her pitch. Although the chance of injury is small, there's more risk with the rubber there than there is with it not being there.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The league should remove the pitching rubbers that are not in use. We have the same issue in our league, and we bought removable rubbers with end-spikes for just this purpose.

Sep 3, 2009
I wouldn't think it to be an unreasonable request at all, it's a matter of safety. There should only be one pitching rubber on the field at one time, the correct one for the team using the field.
On our fields here, they only have one rubber, and it's moved based on the distance needed. There are tubes in the ground at the correct distances.

Jul 26, 2010
They either remove for games it isn't used it or she doesn't pitch. I imagine she's not the only one who's almost hurt herself because of this.

-W

Mar 13, 2010
Definitly ask to have it removed. If it's not, I would not have her pitch.

I would see if you can get the coach to talk to other teams about this. I doubt your daughter would be the only one with this issue.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I am expecting a hard time about getting the shorter mound removed. I may be way off, and they are understanding. She was their only pitcher in all stars last season. I honestly can't remember if the mound was there and covered over or not. Funny thing is during pitching practice last year she would have no problem stepping and driving off the mound. In games she would be so much shorter on the step. I figured it was lack of game experience or nerves. Could have been the mound ther the whole time. Shame on me for not noticing the issue sooner. Now that she is focusing on her legs, it it obvious when something is off.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
First, I agree with everyone else regarding removing the other mound(s). I never heard of anyone leaving them in.

Here's a different question for you, why even bother playing in a rec league? I understand the point of wanting to play with friends but this will not help her get better, and it might even make her worse. The competition will be less, and she won't face the same pitching while batting. I had a girl on my team, that while the HS players were away, wanted to play rec ball. I strongly discouraged her from doing so especially after 3 months of winter workouts. I see no upside in doing this.

-Tom

May 18, 2009
I'm a firm believer in REC ball. It gives girls a chance to play that may not be able to afford TB. It is also where initial skills are developed and girls can get their first chance to play in tourney ball if they are selected to an all star team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr