How would you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
My plan for right now is to call my commissioner and see what he wants me to do. Unfortunately, since this is rec ball if she pays her money she will play in the spring. Fortunately for me, however, I won't have to deal with her. I'm 17 (will be 18 in the spring) and I'll be off playing ball for my HS (as I've said before, TB is scarce around here and it's happening at the HS level... funny how things vary from region to region).

I have been told by our commissioner that in order to coach (that's how he phrased it) in the spring, you will have to be 21 for "insurance purposes". I don't know if that's because that 10U group has so many whiny parents or if that is the legit reason. However, I'm going to be very angry if I'm not able to help out. Many week days I'll go to school for 8 hours, then spend 6 straight hours (minus transportation time) on the ball field at my HS and with those kids. I enjoy helping out at practice far more than the head coach type stuff. I know the commissioner guy well enough to say that if I'm not allowed on the field at all, he'll still want me to keep the scorebook. And guess what, if the insurance doesn't cover me helping out on the field then it sure as hell won't cover me keeping the score, because I consider that to be a form of coaching.

I've always said that I'd like to come back here and live, but now I'm starting to second guess that. My passion for ball over rides everything else and I could have a bigger impact at the TB level in a larger area. I'm currently considering teaching, that way I can coach HS ball. Or going to an orphanage for girls and coaching there...

Amanda - IMO, as a coach and the leader of the team YOU always need to take the high road. Since this is a rec ball you need to find out from the league what your options are: can you even dismiss the player from the team on this "first offense"? I would be very careful about how you handle the situation since it will effect your current team and how you are perceived if you coach in future seasons, etc. I would definitely talk with this mom so that you get the facts of why they left and let her know her actions are unacceptable. You either give her a second chance or you dismiss her (if allowed). If you do dismiss her, I think you need to sit down with all the other players and families and let them know exactly why she was dismissed and that her behavior was unacceptable. This way they get the story directly from you and not from third parties. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Rules are different region to region, but i have never heard that you had to be 21. It doesn't make sense to me, they allow you to coach at age 17 in the fall, but spring ball you have to be 21? Sounds like a crock of.........as long as you pass your background checks, you should be able to coach.

It seems you have a very good head on your shoulders. I think its awesome you know what you want and your going for it. We need more people with your attitude.
But, you have to remember that our baseball/softball association does not mandate fall ball. They just give us permission to use the team stuff and team jerseys. Also, they do NOT do background checks or require any type of certification.

I've had 15 year old assistants with a 12u rec team in the past. Only the manager needs to be 21 for the reasons stated (insurance).

There are specific rules we had to follow for the 15 year olds though. They involved wearing batting helmets when outside the dugout (including coaching bases) and wearing a catchers mask any time they were warming up pitchers. Basically they have the same safety rules as the players.

-W
I've been helping and coaching since I was 14 years old in various shapes and forms... At sixteen, I head coached a 12U fall ball team. Now, at 17... I've got the 10U and a 12U fall ball team. Before that, I'd always helped out at practice and kept score for the younger kids, occasionally coaching a base. There were NO restrictions placed on what I could do... Heck, when helping out in the spring they let me on the field when one of the girls broke her arm. Nasty sight, but that's another story.

If you do dismiss her, I think you need to sit down with all the other players and families and let them know exactly why she was dismissed and that her behavior was unacceptable. This way they get the story directly from you and not from third parties. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
I don't think they'll allow me to dismiss her, I don't know. I'm hoping that things will just smooth over. This Saturday is our last game and I'd like for it to go as drama free as possible.

I have tried to get in contact with my commissioner but with no luck. Hopefully he will call me back so I can handle this how he wishes for me to handle it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You did everything correct. You don't owe anyone an apology. If you want to talk to the mother, go ahead. Explain the situation and listen to her whine. You will learn that your phone call did nothing except waste electricity.

You won't be able to "dismiss" the child. But, you should talk to the commissioner and explain what happened.

You are young and think you can please everyone. You can't. You also think you can save everyone. You can't.

All you can do is do your job/task/assignment as best as you can.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
You are young and think you can please everyone. You can't. You also think you can save everyone. You can't.

All you can do is do your job/task/assignment as best as you can.
Oh trust me, I've long since learned that I can't please everyone. I know I'm not, especially with this 10U team. In the spring, I asked how many wanted to play fall ball... fourteen little hands shot up. Out of those fourteen, my roster of thirteen includes three of those girls from the spring. The rest of them are borrowed from teams in the county that did not put together a fall ball team (therefore, they'll go back to their team in the spring), are from coach pitch, or they are brand new. My father came to one of my games, sat in the bleachers, and none of the parents knew him... oh the things he could tell me after the game. Last weekend, my mother did the same thing.

Definitely something that I'm not used to... previously, all of the girls had seen me play and most of them knew my parents.

Feb 8, 2009
+1 This will affect your future. As a young person, you are under scrutiny. Take the high road. This is a great learning lesson.
Amanda - IMO, as a coach and the leader of the team YOU always need to take the high road. Since this is a rec ball you need to find out from the league what your options are: can you even dismiss the player from the team on this "first offense"? I would be very careful about how you handle the situation since it will effect your current team and how you are perceived if you coach in future seasons, etc. I would definitely talk with this mom so that you get the facts of why they left and let her know her actions are unacceptable. You either give her a second chance or you dismiss her (if allowed). If you do dismiss her, I think you need to sit down with all the other players and families and let them know exactly why she was dismissed and that her behavior was unacceptable. This way they get the story directly from you and not from third parties. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Jul 9, 2010
Good grief. What would have happened had you batted her last to give some other kids more at-bats - it is fall ball, right? When I coached fall ball, I took the approach that it was developmental, and I tried pretty hard to even out the at-bats.

I wouldn't call her. I'd see if she showed up at practice, tell her why it happened, and remind that 1) it's fall ball, and 2) you can do whatever you want. When she coaches the team, she can do whatever she wants.

At our LL, we couldn't kick a kid off a team unless they brought drugs to practice or discharged a weapon. No matter what sort of grief I got from the player or the parent, they were on the team, playing time was mandatory, etc, etc.

If you league is like ours was, you can't really do much more than the invite mom to take a team in the spring, and until then, zip it. Even though there is mandatory play, it is still a dictatorship of 1 - you.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
You are the coach! If she wants to be the coach then she needs to take on a team next time or at least help with yours. She has no respect for your commitment to those kids. You do it on a volunteer basis. That Mom has no right to have any expectations. I would cut her just to send a message to the other parents. She needs to learn a lesson in manners.

May 14, 2010
Now, I am typically the first to hate on parents and attitudes. But who is getting punished in this deal? The player. Doubt very much that the player can drive at 10U. So Momma can be a *****, but the daughter is punished if she is removed from the team because Momma cannot get there on time. It's fall so I would not remove the player, but I would make some calls. And, for the sake of the team's respect for Amanda, the player would be at the bottom of the order for quite a while. If Momma cannot deal with that, well, Amanda has much better things to do with her life than deal with Momma. See ya, Momma!

May 8, 2009
Florida
You haven't done anything wrong, in fact, you have done everything right! I believe first you should let the board know of the situation and learn what your options are. That way anything you choose to do from that point is in line with policy. From there, I wouldn't call the parents unless it was only to tell them to show early to the next practice to have a conversation. I prefer to handle these matters face to face. This is not a discussion, but simply you calmly and firmly informing the parents that this type of behaviour is inappropriate and will not be tolerated. There is a committment to the team and that commitment needs to be honored. Let them know that this stops here - it will be over and not brought back up unless it happens again. From there, you can give what were the consequences. Have these predetermined and dont wavier from them. I would suggest that the next game this girl does not play defense but perhaps still bats. Regardless, she is required to be there with the team. You should get one of two responses. A fairly quiet (hopefully) acceptance of the terms, or they get mad and leave. Either way, bring the meeting to a close and start practice.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
My commissioner did not get in contact with me today. The little girl did not show up at practice either and I have not heard from her mother. I have been told by one of my 12U assistants not to worry with her (he's the head coach in the spring) because of all of the other past problems. That helped ease the worries that if she decides to drag this out, the board will be on my side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06