How would travel ball change "If pitchers were put on a pitch count"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's an interesting topic. Personally, I'm in favor of a pitch count for the health of the players. (Yes, my daughter is a pitcher). But I can understand the challenges it would create.

For example, when DD was a junior and senior in high school, she was the only pitcher on the roster. She was expected to throw every inning. The coach wasn't even interested in trying anyone else. Then when DD suffered a concussion after a collision at home plate, the coach was forced to have a girl pitch that hadn't pitched since 12u rec ball.

In travel ball, it would eliminate the temptation to ride one pitcher the entire weekend (or most of it). I have seen teams throw one pitcher entirely too much. And isn't that typically how things like this work? When people are incapable of acting responsibly, someone steps in and regulates the activity to force responsibility. Not saying it is right, but seems to be the tendency.

Jun 11, 2013
If you watch baseball TB almost every kit can pitch. Some aren't great but most can throw strikes. In SB there are usually a few who can do so. It would lead to a lot of walkfests early on but over time more pitchers would be developed.

Apr 1, 2017
If you watch baseball TB almost every kit can pitch. Some aren't great but most can throw strikes. In SB there are usually a few who can do so. It would lead to a lot of walkfests early on but over time more pitchers would be developed.
One difference though is baseball pitching is at least similar to baseball throwing. You could grab your SS and tell them to "throw strikes", and there is at least a possibility of strikes. I've seen some of our softball players try to pitch when they're messing around at the end of practice........

Apr 20, 2015
I think it would be great. Travel ball would return to only the best of the best playing travel. Rec leagues would thrive with the rest of the kids just throwing strikes it would be amazing

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Nov 18, 2013
I think it would help at younger ages, especially on Rec and lower level travel Too many kids never get a chance to pitch because coaches give all the innings to their DD’s. It would also help insure there’s kids with pitching experience when those same coaches kids leave rec or move up to higher level travel.

While overuse injuries can and do occur in softball I think those are more due to issues with mechanics or not getting enough rest between outings. Those were the cases with DD anyway.

Nov 4, 2015
I think it would be great for 10u and 12u. I also think it would take a few years for it to matter at the higher age groups. If more girls pitch at 10u, and because of pitch counts, continue to get to pitch, you will end up with more pitchers. There are a lot of girls who give up completely on pitching at an early age because they struggle and don't get enough innings to help with improvement. Most pitchers that are not overpowering or have had control issues, have had to struggle for circle time because the more consistent girl gets a majority of the innings when young. My DD fought for innings until second year 12u. A pitch count would have gotten her more innings and greatly sped up her development. With all teams having to use more pitchers, coaches would know they are also facing someone else's number 2 more often.

Jun 27, 2021
Do you think people don't develop pitchers because they don't want to? Teams don't have 3-5 not because they don't want 3-5, but developing into a pitcher is so difficult and requires so many hours away from team practice. In fact, it's a fallacy to suggest that "more teams" would or even could do anything. Teams don't develop pitchers, except maybe at a very low level (and even then, the ones who actually develop do so on their own).
Realistically it is not a want to vs. knowing how to. The question was pitch count and how it would impact the game. I don't want to confuse throwing a kid out there and the coach "saying just throw strikes" as development or knowing how to. Pitching is a process and years of development and dedication that is taxing physically and mentally. Mine decided to be a PO heading into HS, she took off to another level once she devoted her full attention to pitching so I agree with you on the outside the part. Teams don't have 3-5 because the 4-5 are looking for 1-2 type innings more times than not. But to answer the question posed, if pitch counts were established you would see the rich get richer in regards to having more arms due to potential less innings. Gone would be the days of a kid throwing 300 in two days or less. Even at PGF Nationals the top teams ride 2 typically with a strong 3rd to eat up innings for rest.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Question 1st ... does LL SB have a pitch count?

DD's league had an inning limit while she was growing up. 8u 2 linnings, 10U 3 innings ... a game. If at 8u we played 2 games, she could P 4 innings.

As most of you know, I not not care about DD, it is all about me and pitch counts are a pain.

School ball is the only time DD was overused, club was OK. At 10 or 11 she was strong enough to stand up for herself and say no more pitching.

I have mixed feeling about the whole thing but lean towards let a P pitch as much as she in comfortable with.

Jun 26, 2019
from the first few games of fastpitch I ever watched, at the beginning of time, four years ago it seemed to me that teams are always looking to ride one good pitcher as far as they can, and that has always bugged me, so that aspect I would like. Where we would find coaches to train new pitchers would be the next problem.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Interesting topic. One thing that is certain to happen is more runs would be scored. Pitchers would also be much more likely to play secondary positions.

I personally think pitch counts would be good at the younger levels. My daughter has played high level travel ball since 9u for the Beverly Bandits. I have seen a lot of solid pitchers give up pitching at the 10u level because they are not quite good enough to pitch for a team of that caliber but are plenty good to pitch for any other team in the Chicago area. A lot of those girls that gave up pitching at that young of an age could throw 48-52 mph at 10 years old but those type of team have multiple girls that throw 55 mph or faster. Lets be honest, hitting a 55 mph pitch at 30 feet is not easy at 10 years old. Speed is most important at 10u travel ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06