How would travel ball change "If pitchers were put on a pitch count"?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I am asking in regards to game play and team construction.
Would it help or hurt the fast pitch game in general?

Apr 20, 2017
I think it would hurt the game overall. Softball pitching is such a different motion to throwing. It takes so much time and training to become a good pitcher. I think it would cause a big gap between different levels of teams and would reduce the number of teams. While to a point I think fewer teams would probably be a good thing but it would also take opportunities away from a bunch of girls. Now some may say they think it would help by producing more pitchers. Which I think it does in baseball but how many more are going to spend the time to practice or money on lessons that don’t already pitch because they want too.

Jun 27, 2021
I am asking in regards to game play and team construction.
Would it help or hurt the fast pitch game in general?
It would help the quality of the game. More teams would have to develop depth in the circle as opposed to relying on 1-2 kids each weekend if they have 3-5. It would also cut the number of teams down drastically as you're only as good as your pitching staff. If managed right it can work, but if not you'll create added chaos trying to make everyone happy. My 2 cents on that.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pitchers better prepare to be incredibly better hitters and fielders and/or be prepared for cause and effect of even larger rosters.

Can't imagine five pitchers on the same team in competitive travel ball who are all also revolving on the same defensive field and hitting. (Pertaining to competitive level in age brackets.)

Lack of better pitching out there is not because there are not enough good pitchers, it's because there are so many teams that it's hard for everybody to get a top-notch pitcher.
Just like catchers it's a technical position and it takes people's dedication that goes beyond average training.
Hitting is a much broader example.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
Pitchers better prepare to be incredibly better hitters and fielders and/or be prepared for cause and effect of even larger rosters.

Can't imagine five pitchers who are also revolving on the defensive field and hitting. (Pertaining to competitive level in age brackets.)
Oh wait colleges generally do you have five or six pitchers on their rosters and they still go with the top 2'ish so maybe they would just go with top 3'ish. Still the top teams would consume the top best pitchers.

Lack of better pitching out there is not because there are not enough good pitchers, it's because there are so many teams that it's hard for everybody to get a top-notch pitcher.
Just like catchers it's a technical position and it takes people's dedication that goes beyond being average.
Yep, another reason why you see so many East Coast Pitchers travel to CA to play. Talked with a College Coach in the ACC who said because of the way showcase is and how many pitchers are on staff in colleges they have entertained pitching a kid an inning. He was half joking but there was also truth in what he said.

Apr 1, 2017
For the "high end" teams, their rosters would get larger, but wouldn't change much.

For the middle and lower level teams (which are also the overwhelming majority of people playing softball), it would be horrible. The pitching just doesn't exist to have 4 or 5 pitchers on each team. Also, teams full of players not interested in chasing college scholarships (again, the overwhelming majority), aren't going to be interested in 16 player rosters and a ton of time riding the bench.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Here's a comment that may seem backwards or maybe counter-intuitive to this post topic but,...
what if teams could only have a maximum of 3 or 4 pitchers on their roster and that way the top teams would stop collecting 5,6,7 at a time?

Regulate innings by how many games are played per day.

( really just adding to the topic 🙂 think its fine the way it is)

Dec 15, 2018
CT
What's the number? Per day? Per week? Per tournament? Consecutive days? Who's counting? I'm sure "no-pitch count" sanctions would pop up. Or unsanctioned "no-pitch count" tourneys.

From what I've seen umpiring youth baseball, in regulated games with pitch counts, is that the P1 or P2 pitches the first two innings, Johnny Wholestaff pitches the middle innings (and the game goes to hell), and then P1 or P2 comes in to close.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It would help the quality of the game. More teams would have to develop depth in the circle as opposed to relying on 1-2 kids each weekend if they have 3-5. It would also cut the number of teams down drastically as you're only as good as your pitching staff. If managed right it can work, but if not you'll create added chaos trying to make everyone happy. My 2 cents on that.

Do you think people don't develop pitchers because they don't want to? Teams don't have 3-5 not because they don't want 3-5, but developing into a pitcher is so difficult and requires so many hours away from team practice. In fact, it's a fallacy to suggest that "more teams" would or even could do anything. Teams don't develop pitchers, except maybe at a very low level (and even then, the ones who actually develop do so on their own).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478