How will the power 5 dissolve impact softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Sunday is for family, church, picnic, beach, homework, practice?
Sounds nice.

College softball players aren’t chillin’ by the lake during the season. Just sayin.

And ESPN would like a word about their Sunday lineup. And how do you televise games when they are all on Saturday?

That’s why there is Monday night matchups.

Dec 11, 2010
Often games get moved to Monday night on pretty short notice.

It’s because of TV.

These schedules change according to interest in matchups.

It’s super awesome to find out your travel plans just changed and you have a free Sunday in some dump of a college town.

May 27, 2013
I think that after watching how college teams manage pitchers there just isn’t enough good pitching. Most teams have one that they try to use Friday and Sunday to take the series and scratch out a win on Saturday. And all p5 isn’t top teams. The big 10 teams struggle more with getting pitchers than SEC teams do. Dd’s team had 5 pitchers and used mostly 3 throughout the season. 2 of the three were barely effective and gave up run rule games regularly.

The point that I’m making here is that tv changes everything. If you were going to an Alabama game or tuning in to one, you wanted to see Montana pitch. And ESPN wanted to have her on tv. Four games per weekend and a midweek matchup and who else is pitching that added game per week?

Now look at Florida. Florida struggled this season putting one pitcher out there that could nail down a game per weekend. How hard is it to get a kid to come to Florida to pitch? Not very, I would think. But now they have to come up with pitching for another game per weekend?

How about Tennessee? Great staff. One battles injuries.

See what I mean? I don’t think there is enough pitching. Even at that level. Every team isn’t Oklahoma with a pen full of All Americans.

I do see your point. I just wonder now with better teams moving to those other conferences if recruiting pitchers will also be easier for them because they will get the opportunity to play against those top teams? Along with that comes more media and TV time, drawing in top players, perhaps?

Feb 15, 2017
I think that after watching how college teams manage pitchers there just isn’t enough good pitching. Most teams have one that they try to use Friday and Sunday to take the series and scratch out a win on Saturday. And all p5 isn’t top teams. The big 10 teams struggle more with getting pitchers than SEC teams do. Dd’s team had 5 pitchers and used mostly 3 throughout the season. 2 of the three were barely effective and gave up run rule games regularly.

The point that I’m making here is that tv changes everything. If you were going to an Alabama game or tuning in to one, you wanted to see Montana pitch. And ESPN wanted to have her on tv. Four games per weekend and a midweek matchup and who else is pitching that added game per week?

Now look at Florida. Florida struggled this season putting one pitcher out there that could nail down a game per weekend. How hard is it to get a kid to come to Florida to pitch? Not very, I would think. But now they have to come up with pitching for another game per weekend?

How about Tennessee? Great staff. One battles injuries.

See what I mean? I don’t think there is enough pitching. Even at that level. Every team isn’t Oklahoma with a pen full of All Americans.
I think ESPN wants to see Fouts every game but thar doesn't mean ratings will drop if there's other pitchers it just means the three headed monster has to do some pregame work. And it isn't that there's not enough pitching it's that some teams don't have enough hitting (I'm looking at you Bama.)

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Aug 9, 2021
That's common at every level. My older daughter played D3 this year, and her coach made it mandatory that they not take Friday classes for travel purposes. If they absolutely had no choice, the last start time was 10:00 AM, and that was only for girls in programs which required clinical rotations. And the only time they flew anywhere was for the Spring games in Florida.
This does not surprise me at all, but did she know this going in before choosing the school? We are finding vastly different expectations for classes and even major options at various schools.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
This does not surprise me at all, but did she know this going in before choosing the school? We are finding vastly different expectations for classes and even major options at various schools.
Yes, she knew. I was always the type who tried to get off from classes on Friday just to get a three day weekend. I told her to do the same thing.

May 27, 2022
Found this on Twitter yesterday; travel times from ASU to the old and new schools. Thought it was a decent comparison of the travel times involved. Except for UCF, WVU, and Cin, travel times are all within what they had to do to get to Washington.

By my calculations, the non UCF/WVU/CIN drive time is 13 Hrs 56 min which is almost identical to the Pac 12 conference today.

1691409481567.png

May 17, 2023
Found this on Twitter yesterday; travel times from ASU to the old and new schools. Thought it was a decent comparison of the travel times involved. Except for UCF, WVU, and Cin, travel times are all within what they had to do to get to Washington.

By my calculations, the non UCF/WVU/CIN drive time is 13 Hrs 56 min which is almost identical to the Pac 12 conference today.

I know some SEC schools take charter flight to every weekend series, mainly because hard to find commercial flights to all the cities. Not sure if all teams in conference do that?

Wouldn't think that would be too much of a stretch for the new Bigger 10 to do the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi