How to transition from 8u rec (Mom coaching) to 8u TB (Mom spectating)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2014
We just played our last LL game of the season (thank you, Jesus!). Dd7 has been invited to play on a new 8u TB team. Practice will begin in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to make this as smooth a transition for her as possible. She will be going from being the best player on the team (best 2006 in the league to my knowledge) and starting 1B to being one of two 2006 with the other 8 being 2005. So, she's probably looking at starting in the OF.

Mechanically, what do I need to do? Yesterday, we started throwing with the regular 11" ball (our LL uses compression balls for 8u) and some fielding so she could get used to the difference. What else do you recommend?

What about the mental game? I think she will actually appreciate me not coaching her. I am the "finish the play, then you can cry" after taking a bad hop/ tripping over first old school mom. I have already had the discussion with her about giving 100% no matter what position you play. She knows how good some of her teammates are already, so she says she's ok with wherever she is put. The new coach doesn't have a child on the team and he plays girls according to what is best for the team. How else should I prepare her for this change?

Sorry it is so long, I just want to do what I can from my end for her to make the most of this experience.

Jun 11, 2013
My advice is to keep an eye on what's going on.

I see a lot of kids move from Rec to TB and are intimidated by the speed of everything. Kids hit harder, they are faster, but mostly they can throw a lot harder and expect you can catch it. I also see that most kids who have talent catch up over a couple of months.

You may notice some things in practice your DD is a little behind on. Coaches will help, but most TB coached expect that you will practice some on your own. If she is having trouble with fly balls or backhands work on it on off nights (only if your DD wants to don't force it).

The other advice I always give my DD is to observe at practice. If you are playing CF and they are hitting to Infield, keep an eye on what they are doing. You may not get all of the nuances of a position, but especially at young ages they may throw you in at second base without much practice and it's nice if you have an idea how to play it.

For a parent, unless you are wealthy, figure out how to travel without breaking the bank.

Jun 24, 2013
Also teach her how to back up bases if she plays the OF. I had my 8U team moving on every hit ball. Those few instances she is there to stop an overthrow will make her stock go up.

My advice? Stop treating the outfield like it is a penance. It's a huge mistake those coming from rec ball always make.....thinking that playing in the outfield means you are biding your time until she gets back into the infield where the "good" players play.

I realize that the best players on young rec teams are always pitchers or catchers or shortstops or first baseman. However, there are other positions on the field and in TB, you will need to defend all of them well. Trust me on this.

Great outfielders are hard to come by, and worth their weight in gold. Hopefully, if she ends up in the outfield, it's because she's fast and tracks the ball well and has a cannon for an arm and her coach thinks it would be a good fit for her rather than he thinks she sucks so he puts her out there with he rest of the sucky girls. And, if she hears, "Ugh. The outfield!" at home, she may not have her heart in it and it will effect her playing time because of it.

Feb 3, 2011
It may be too late for this fall, but I suggest trying to get your local league to adopt the 10" ball for this age group for 2015.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
It may be too late for this fall, but I suggest trying to get your local league to adopt the 10" ball for this age group for 2015.

Aww, c'mon!! I have my youngest DD ('06) pitching with older DD's 12" ball all the time! It's just one piece of my master plan.... :D

Jul 2, 2013
Be the first one there and the last to leave.

When your DD is 8 years old, practice before practice, after practice, and at home. This is when you can "become" a great player.

Once you get into the travel softball circuit, and become really good. Maybe think you deserve an infield slot. Practice and go get it. Be patient. It is hard to find quality infielders at 8U, 10U. wait your turn. Someone is going to make a slew of errors, and lose games. Then you get your chance.

Take infield practice. Coaches at 8U, 10U should not slot outfielders yet.

If all else fails, and DD is good enough .... change teams. Even to a lessor team to get infield reps, and be seen as an infielder.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
DD2 started at 8 too...same scenario as you...learn from my mistakes...

Spend the $100 and buy the videos from Howard Kobata at softballskills.com. Priceless.

Buy some total control balls - just 6 for you and her - lots of close front toss.

Teach the swing off a tee or front toss not off a machine. Buy a tee!

Teaching positional defense at that age is a thread unto its own.

Take her to some 12U games...have her watch....

One last thing that you posted that sticks in my head...reassure her that she "belongs" - none of this she knows how good her teammates are already bull. You need to tell her she is worthy and belongs there...

...if I didn't have to get up in 5 hours to take my DD1 to the ASA qualifier I could write a book here

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA