How to tell a high school coach that she can't overuse my pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
I don’t think there’s any way around it - she needs to pitch perfect games. lol
Or work on her hitting so that she can hit a grand slam every AB. With at least 2 AB's by the 4th inning, there's a good chance you'll be run-ruling most teams. That's a lot of IPs saved!

I'm sure that kind of offensive production is what the coach is expecting out of her anyway. :)

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
To be honest, It looks like a blessing to me that you know the coach's dumb plan. You have all the cards to decide how much your DD will play. If the coach had not expressed this over-the-top action at this point you would be trying to make these decisions during the middle of the season which can put everyone in a more emotional state.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
The HS season doesn't start until the spring but she's had the team doing full practices since tryouts last month. Most HS teams we know about are only doing conditioning, but she has pitchers throwing bullpens every day to get them ready for the spring season.

First thing: What state are you in? Every state has different rules, but many don't even permit these kinds of organized activities outside of the season.

May 13, 2023
Sounds like she's trying to talk your daughter into quitting the team
Could be!

Pending the players personality....
how they handle the coaches conversation could really puff the player up into the big puffy ego monster 🤷‍♀️

Dec 6, 2019
I didn't see it mentioned - does the school have dedicated athletic trainers? Our school has 2, and they would never let something like this happen.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I didnt read the whole thread but,

How to tell a high school coach that she can't overuse my pitcher?​

Simply call or email (cc the AD) kindly informing him or her that your DD has a strict 110 pitches per day and a 275 per week pitch limit, period. You can make up your own numbers. I just thought those were reasonable. If he or she has the gull to ask you how you came up with those numbers, tell her pitching coach and/or doctor.

Jan 22, 2011
What section in California? Different sections of California have different rules on out-of-season workouts and when practices can start. The Southern State Section seems to allow more done offseason than the other sections in the state.

I know some schools schedule gym classes to work on conditioning. There are times when coaches are allowed to do small group workouts with the team on skills, say, one coach working with four players, but I can't find any information online about exactly what those time periods are.

I think the earliest any games can start in California is Feb 10th. If the school has on-site trainers, I would have your DD see the trainer and discuss the soreness. The coach telling her she should throw an extra 100 pitches to learn to work through the pain is definitely a red flag. What does the coach think throwing all these pitches in October in addition to her club team will accomplish?

If meeting with the coach doesn't go well, you may have to go to the AD with your concerns and get clarification on what type of off-season workouts the coach is allowed to hold.

Interestingly, poking around on CIF Section websites, there a maximum pitch count for baseball pitchers which I think comes from the State CIF.
Screenshot 2023-10-06 112317.png

May 13, 2023
What section in California? Different sections of California have different rules on out-of-season workouts and when practices can start. The Southern State Section seems to allow more done offseason than the other sections in the state.

I know some schools schedule gym classes to work on conditioning. There are times when coaches are allowed to do small group workouts with the team on skills, say, one coach working with four players, but I can't find any information online about exactly what those time periods are.

I think the earliest any games can start in California is Feb 10th. If the school has on-site trainers, I would have your DD see the trainer and discuss the soreness. The coach telling her she should throw an extra 100 pitches to learn to work through the pain is definitely a red flag. What does the coach think throwing all these pitches in October in addition to her club team will accomplish?

If meeting with the coach doesn't go well, you may have to go to the AD with your concerns and get clarification on what type of off-season workouts the coach is allowed to hold.

Interestingly, poking around on CIF Section websites, there a maximum pitch count for baseball pitchers which I think comes from the State CIF.
View attachment 28873
Good post!
Pardon off topic a little but perhaps still relevant.
It occurs to me that while it makes sense to not overuse pitchers. I do wonder if these restrictions are implemented so that the teams that have Ace pitchers cannot overwhelm the rest of the league??
(That may be the underlying reason to implement pitch restrictions??)

Aug 9, 2021
I didn't review all the responses...yet, but I would recommend addressing this up front. And be prepared for the fallout.

We put DD on a pitch count restriction last HS season, she is the main pitcher on her HS team. I had a +/- of 10 pitch variance. When she hit the limit we pulled her in a game which made me very unpopular with a lot of people. As someone wrote above, you have to be your DD's advocate, because nobody else will (nobody else cares as much as you do).

Edit: Someone else covered it above. Figure out your per game and per week limit for HS and let that be known to the head coach. Offer to meet with the coach and DD pitching coach to discuss why the established limits are in place. Don't forget to factor in any non-game pitching during the week. I am also not interested in my DD throwing BP for the team on a daily basis, if it works with her established volume, great. If not, sorry.

The hard part came for us when there were double headers, usually on the weekends.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd