How to Improve Time to start throw to 2nd?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I am working with three 10u catchers on a select team. We have been working through all the techniques in the NECC video. The girls have come so far in the past few months. The girls just love learning all the new items. Each girl has a copy of the video and they watch it at home on their own because they want to.

Recently we have been working on our throw downs to second and third. The girls have the correct technique and footwork for the transfer and setup. When we practice our technique and throws with the ball starting in the glove they are so quick. However when we got to any live pitching, their speed from catching the ball, through transfer, and throw drops drastically.

Does anyone have any drills to help work on getting the speed back close to the speed they show when not having live pitching?

With their arms not being as strong as older girls the few "seconds" that they take to transition, setup, and start their throw are preventing them from throwing anyone out. The other coaches are getting frustrated because they aren't seeing progress as in the end result. (The other coaches have admitted they don't know much about catching technique.) I however am seeing amazing progress in these girls and want to see them succeed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I'm no catching expert but it sounds like you have them on a great routine for 10U.

I think what they probably need most is more reps with live pitching (or a coach feeding them instead of starting from the glove) to work on the catch plus transfer at game speed.

Maybe it will work out with more time. Yet it might not. We have done simple coaches tossing to them before going to the live pitching. The result was still the same. They were considerably slower from the time the ball hits the glove till they start their transfer motion. It is like their brain wakes up and says hey lets throw.

Just looking for some drills to make it more like second nature. So they make their mind up they are throwing as the ball is in the air and as soon as the ball hits the glove, nature takes over and the transfer, footwork, and throw all happen quick without thought.

Feb 3, 2011
They should be learning to make the throw, but take the focus off the result, because at 10u, the runner stealing 2B is going to be successful most of the time. They should, however, be able to get runners stealing 3B or sleeping at 1B.

Teach them now and they'll be great when they move up to 12u and have stronger arms while receiving faster pitches.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
One thing I've done wrong in this kind of drill is soft-tossing the ball, not saying you have this problem, but a good hard smack works better for some reason.

I also have to make sure she's moving the weight forward slightly as they catch the ball, weight 60/40 on the toes, and not sitting low and back.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Throwing someone out trying to steal 2nd at 10U is a low-percentage play. As the players get older and their arms get stronger (and the pitches come in faster) it will get easier.

It sounds to me like this is a mental issue. The catcher should be assuming that the runner is going to steal on every pitch - she should not wait to hear "she's going" and react. After she catches the ball she should pop up and start the throwing motion. If the runner is not going then she looks for a pickoff at 1st opportunity or makes a crisp throw to the pitcher.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
If you're working the Weaver plan, you can contact the camp directly, and Jay will get back to you. Coach Dave always believed that anyone working their plan was his own personal student.
Jay's working like a one-armed paperhanger, so it might take a while.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
KevinC & Momo's dad both make really good points.

One thing to look at with the catchers is make sure they aren't reaching out for the ball with live pitching. Make sure they are letting the ball come to them. If they are reaching it will really slow them down.

Secondly a couple of good drills, not just for catchers, is to work quick toss or two ball drill where they really need to concentrate on a quick clean transfer from glove to hand.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I agree with the posts in here that talk about how the girls may just need more time. They may need to start the move earlier (before they actually catch the ball). Get them to start turning the front side (left knee, left shoulder) to the pitch before they catch it. This will speed up their feet as well as their hands to get rid of the ball.

They probably do this well in their drills because they have more time to get it in. When catching a pitched ball to throw to second, the catcher must start the action before they catch the ball. If they don't they will be too late and the rhythm of the throw will be off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi