How to hit a rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Successful hitters can hit all pitches and locations.

For those that say stay off the rise, they will get eaten up by the pitcher controlling the game. Who is able to throw the rise for a strike.

Hitting mechanics are a different conversation.
Say that because yes there are hitting mechanics that will struggle on the rise.
While other mechanics can look for it to
CRUSH THE RISE BALL !

Rise can and is thrown at different heights/locations.
Identifying is essential.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDS
Jun 8, 2016
For those that say stay off the rise, they will get eaten up by the pitcher controlling the game.
If you are swinging at a ball then yes you are letting the pitcher control the game. Riseballs are not meant to be thrown as strikes, at least from what I have seen/heard. You would know better. If what I say is true then you might as well say to crush every pitch thrown two inches off the river as well..no difference.

Mike Trout hits around .200 for balls up in the zone, should I tell him to "crush high fastballs" when he (and most others) have a hard time hitting that pitch because it is a hard pitch to hit regardless of how good your mechanics are?

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I don't want to put words in Julrays mouth, so he can correct me if I'm wrong, but it has to do with the way he views the swings, which is down to
You are putting words in my mouth.. LOL. You are viewing "down to" the same way as a lot of people view "TTB". What I mean by that is many people view TTB as an instant dump of the barrel.. but it's not. Same thing with "down to".. people view it as chopping down on the ball... but it's not. Both methods depend on proper tilt and posture in relation to pitch location.. I referring most to pitch height. That's why when I mention down to.. I also refer to "direct to". Considering you are swing at heat up around your ear lobes and the trajectory of the ball is much flatter than a normal pitch.. it's a hard pitch to hit regardless of your perfect mechanics :). I was thinking a long the same lines as pattar and westwind

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If you are swinging at a ball then yes you are letting the pitcher control the game. Riseballs are not meant to be thrown as strikes, at least from what I have seen/heard. You would know better. If what I say is true then you might as well say to crush every pitch thrown two inches off the river as well..no difference.

Mike Trout hits around .200 for balls up in the zone, should I tell him to "crush high fastballs" when he (and most others) have a hard time hitting that pitch because it is a hard pitch to hit regardless of how good your mechanics are?

Is that his avg since making adjustments for pitches up in the zone ? I honestly don't know.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Pardon but
YES the rise can be and is thrown for a strike!

Jun 8, 2016
Is that his avg since making adjustments for pitches up in the zone ? I honestly don't know.
Yeah that was 2015 numbers I think. Here is 2019, a bit better but still not something he excels at
Screenshot from 2020-04-30 09-49-17.png

Oct 2, 2017
You are putting words in my mouth.. LOL. You are viewing "down to" the same way as a lot of people view "TTB". What I mean by that is many people view TTB as an instant dump of the barrel.. but it's not. Same thing with "down to".. people view it as chopping down on the ball... but it's not. Both methods depend on proper tilt and posture in relation to pitch location.. I referring most to pitch height. That's why when I mention down to.. I also refer to "direct to". Considering you are swing at heat up around your ear lobes and the trajectory of the ball is much flatter than a normal pitch.. it's a hard pitch to hit regardless of your perfect mechanics :). I was thinking a long the same lines as pattar and westwind
LOL, No I know you as well as I do that your not referring to Chopping down. So no, I don't view it the same way as a lot of people as chopping wood LOL, but most whom you say are down to, view it as getting on top, staying on top etc. Do they not? I know I have heard many pro's say that.

Jun 8, 2016
Pardon but
YES the rise can be and is thrown for a strike!
Fair enough (that is why I asked ;)) , in which case with 2 strikes you need to expand your zone. My initial comment was also for a rise which starts at the letters, which is what I see most hitters swinging through and which will not be a strike when it crosses the plate since nobody calls a strike near the letters anymore...

May 12, 2016
Successful hitters can hit all pitches and locations.

For those that say stay off the rise, they will get eaten up by the pitcher controlling the game.

Hitting mechanics are a different conversation.
Say that because yes there are hitting mechanics that will struggle on the rise.
While other mechanics can look for it to
CRUSH THE RISE BALL !

Rise can and is thrown at different heights/locations.
Identifying is essential.
Back in the day I use to pitch.. FTR I wasn't very good, lol. However there's nothing more frustrating then a hitter who won't chase.. those are the toughest outs. Yep a hitter every now and then may make contact with a perfect pitch out of the zone.. but BA goes way down when hitters start to chase. A rise ball can be thrown for a strike.. some pitchers naturally throw a partial rise. Personally I tried to veer away from throwing a pitch in the strike zone with a flat trajectory.. another name for that.. batting cage ball

Dec 11, 2010
You start seeing riseball pitchers who can throw it for a strike more regularly at 16’s and up on better teams. It’s still not super common and they aren’t going to throw it for a strike unless they have to.

When you see a pitcher that can do the above, she is probably going places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad