How to handle almost entire team showing up late for game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I hated 7:00 summer warmups because the grass was always heavy with dew. I hate having soppy feet so if I didn't remember a change of shoes and socks, I was irritated for warm ups and the first game until I could get them off to dry.

Feb 20, 2020
I don't think anyone is arguing for girls showing up late. I'm not late. My DD isn't late.

But I do want to put out that it's not as cut an dried as it seems sometimes, and taking draconian steps (like punishing the girls when the driving part is out fo the girls' control) could do some real damage to a team. it could breed parental anger and resentment which is never good. So while everyone's indignation about late arrivals is justified, it does have to looked at from a practical standpoint. What's a legitimate way to deal with the situation?

If the coach knows that they need an hour to warm up, then maybe ask for people to arrive 90 minutes early, with the assumption that some won't get there with that much time. Or maybe even more subtle, the coach says they'll be there at 90 early, and guilt will follow along. Or maybe have the warmups so formal and scripted that every minute seems to be important. But I don't think this idea of having girls suffer the consequence of a paren't action is fair, and my experience in youth sports -- albeit not as intense as a lot of people -- is that in these situations, the smart thing to do is err on the side of kindness and understanding.

Apr 28, 2014
I absolutely hate to be late. Taught DD that early is on time, on time is late and late is unacceptable.
DD has embraced that, I'm proud to say.
DW on the other hand is chronically late, it may be her only flaw. Drives me insane, but my flaw list is arms length :)
I think showing up early is a sign of respect for others.

Dec 5, 2017
Initial Pre-game 1:15 befor game time.

*Anyone who has video of showing up 30 minutes at initial pre-game
(first game of the day)
to warm up an entire team including pithers/catchers and everyone getting hitting and some defense...please post.

*To Everyone who has ran a practice, or been to a practice please offer feedback how long does it take just to warm up enough to get ready FOR practice.

That said,
Everyone has different goals.
Plan accordingly, that includes when selecting a team! 👍
20ish minutes? Dynamic warmups-light jog, high knees, etc. Arm circles-forward/back, small/large followed by throwing progression close to far and back to close. Don't like all the stretching some do, seems pointless in my opinion.

Apr 28, 2014
I hated 7:00 summer warmups because the grass was always heavy with dew. I hate having soppy feet so if I didn't remember a change of shoes and socks, I was irritated for warm ups and the first game until I could get them off to dry.
Yes!!!! ^^^^
Last few times I put some plastic shopping bags on my shoes like our parents did with wonder bread bags in the snow.
Other coaches laughed at me but I had dry feet. Lol

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is real easy to fix...

"I'm making the batting order and starting lineup based on when you arrive for the game."

The kids will take care of the rest.

Jun 20, 2015
with respect to yesterday being veteran's day, all these people that are chronically late, have never faced the wrath of drill or platoon sergeant for showing up late. Couple hundred push ups later, and you will NEVER be late again. And when I mean late, that means less than 15 mins early.

Few things burn my bacon more than player strolling up 5 mins late, crocs on, no commo as to why running late, eating a sandwich and texting on phone.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For future team builders and those seeking teams
*it starts with people who WANT to make softball a priority.

True there are those that will figure out the ropes. Eventually learning from costly errors.
To decide somewhere along the way what might become a priority...
That said,
Regardless of softball,
There are people who already recognize the importance of
SHOWING UP ON TIME.

Heres another perspective,
~if something costs so little people are willing to throw it away, charge more until people are wanting to take care of it!

May 6, 2015
20ish minutes? Dynamic warmups-light jog, high knees, etc. Arm circles-forward/back, small/large followed by throwing progression close to far and back to close. Don't like all the stretching some do, seems pointless in my opinion.
most young pitchers need more than 20 minutes if yo include stretching, jog, etc. after short to long to proper distance, most need to throw each pitch several times to get it dialed in. then they also need to do some soft toss, heavy balls, etc. to be ready to bat, field some grounderes and popups to be ready to defend, etc. Cs need to get a few drops and blocks in, a few popups, etc., need more than just the throw down at top of their defensive half of first, and returning ball to pitchers

Apr 20, 2015
Sorry, that's insane. I've been a travel ball parent for a while now and barring an actual emergency or unexpected traffic event because we actual travel far not just down the street my child has never been late nor has anyone on our team. Expectations are set and met. Ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06