How to handle almost entire team showing up late for game?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
here's a good one, the interstate just south of Columbus has been under construction for past 6+ years. Right next to Lou Berliner park. (huge park 31 all turf fields). and yet, every year on our 18u squad, we remind players to allow extra time and still ALWAYS have a few that show late and blame tardiness on 'road work'.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
here's a good one, the interstate just south of Columbus has been under construction for past 6+ years. Right next to Lou Berliner park. (huge park 31 all turf fields). and yet, every year on our 18u squad, we remind players to allow extra time and still ALWAYS have a few that show late and blame tardiness on 'road work'.
31 all turf fields
WOWZAH !!!

Oct 14, 2019
more tough talk. you’re so in control that it couldn’t possibly happen to your team. the op who started this thread stated that it did happen to him - in real life - and asked what to do going forward. instead we get a bunch of coaches saying it could never happen to them. well, that’s great. it doesnt happen with our team either. but that wasn’t the question.

Oct 14, 2019
it gets to be a harder decision depending on how important the player is to the team. if you bench your only reliable pitcher, you’re punishing the whole team. i would probably wait until the next tournament to bench the pitcher, and in the meantime would lay out some ground rules.

Sep 17, 2009
more tough talk. you’re so in control that it couldn’t possibly happen to your team. the op who started this thread stated that it did happen to him - in real life - and asked what to do going forward. instead we get a bunch of coaches saying it could never happen to them. well, that’s great. it doesnt happen with our team either. but that wasn’t the question.
You have a super low-bar for so-called 'tough talk.' I coached for many years, in real life, and I faced this issue ALL the time. It's an issue I think on every team. The best way to deal with it IMO is what I described. Was never easy, didn't always work, sometimes problems would flare up. The OP asked: how would you deal with it? I gave my answer. I caveated it with 'not trying to tough talk it' -- because I'm not. It's not about being a tough guy coach it's about team accountability. The truth is: one-time punishments like running or sitting don't solve the problem. Many players and parents would see that as a fair and not very painful trade-off to reserve the right to show up late and will simply continue to do so.

Since you seem unhappy with answers you are getting to this question, what is YOUR answer?

Dec 5, 2017
Gotcha here!!

20 minutes for stretching, jog and arms.
(Really doesnt matter if its for practice or games...it applys to both!)
Good point made there!!!
For games~
Still need more time for
Pitchers / Catchers
Hitting
And warming up grounders and fly balls.

Usually i consider 30 minutes on the jog stretch arms portion.
Definitely agree about pitchers/catchers needing more time. With our current team it seems like the catchers don't warm up enough. When they do the usual pregame grounders and fly balls the catcher just sits and watches until the starting pitcher is ready to start warming up. I would have her at a minimum fielding a few pop ups and grounders with her legs and helmet on. Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood