how to get them started

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
have their captain get them out of the dugout and play ninja during the coin toss.

Well, ninja is a new one on me. Found this on youtube:

RULES!
1: You can only make one movement NO MATTER HOW BIG! and you can try to hit and move at the same time.
2: After you dodge, your hand MUST stay in the same place.
3. GOAL: Eliminate other players by hitting any part of their hand.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
Another game that the girls learned from a visiting D1 player during coin toss is to stand in a circle in an infield ready position bare handed. They put a softball in the middle. They have to push the sofball through another girls legs, if it gets through, that girl is out. The ball must be kept on the ground. If it's accidentally flipped up and caught, the person who flipped it is out. Last one standing wins. Much chaos and cheering ensues while the other team sits stoically listening to some pot bellied old man talk at them.

-W

Mar 31, 2012
The correct answer to this question is "Coca Cola" - never fails - just the excitment of seeing the beautiful cola-colored bottles shimmering with ice chips is enough to get them started - the illicit thrill of violating pc dietary conventions - then when the caffeine and sugar kick in - KABOOM! Moreover, if the team is really miserable in the morning most frustrated parents will sign on to this in a heartbeat because, well, they are crazy. Plus, you don't need both parents on board, the one who is most frustrated will agree first. Then, even the Vegan parents will give in to peer pressure.

What's the difference between this and cup-cakes after the game? The only difference is that with this, you win.

Mar 31, 2012
Oh and I should have mentioned that you can only get away with this one or two times a season before some reasonable and mature commisioner-type reels you in.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My favorite is a little bunt coverage drill. Line the kids up at 3B, have three kids ready to bat, and a kid at 1B.

You throw the ball, a batter bunts, she runs to 1B. A kid at 3B fields the ball and throws to 1B. Then the kid who fielded the ball throws her mitt in foul territory near 1B and gets in line to bat, the kid who ran to 1b gets her mitt and head to the line at 3B or sometimes takes the place of the kid at 1B.

Kids are running, practicing bunting, fielding and throwing. You do it right, and you can hear the "buzz" of the kids talking get louder and louder.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Music and dancing always seem to work well.

With my DD I have refilled an mty, I repeat empty, 5 Hour Energy bottle with cranberry juice or grapefruit juice. The placebo effect is amazing. She instantly starts moving wide open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG