How to get more aggressive at the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Peppers I'm going to steal that game. Sounds fun!

Just for your info, we also do it with bunting. Contact, fair ball, aim for dfferent locations you can make up your own targets. :)

While we are doing it the ones in the field work on fielding the hits or bunts.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2011
Some of the things I do.
I play a game with the kids, every kid gets in a line with their bat and a helmet. I can pitch or we use a pitching machine. They get one pitch and the first time through they must make contact. Those that miss get their glove and hit the field, the next time through they must hit in fair territory those that miss get their glove, the next time through the ball must hit into the green and so on until one kid is left standing. If you use a pitching machine you can up the speed. The kids love it.

In practice I have the hitter step into every pitch we even work on the proper form for taking a pitch. I teach to think yes, yes, yes and then no for the swing not no, no, no and then yes at the last minute, think swing at every pitch.

No negative thoughts at the plate, we do not think do swing at a rise ball out of the zone, we think see it low.

Peppers, we play that same game except it must always be in fair territory or you are out. I call it "You're in, You're in, You're out, You're out". Kind of a dumb name, but they get it. They get one pitch and they must put it in fair territory or they are out (i.e. get your glove and shag balls for the kids still in). The competition is huge. No one wants to let their friends beat 'em. I also do this game with bunting. It works great and its a quick game that keeps practice fun!

Oct 19, 2009
We do a number of things to make it try and make it fun for the kids.

I’ve seen some kids that could not buy a hit in a game, who would be some of the last ones put out of the game and eventually it carried to hits in the games.

I call it Last Girl Standing.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If they are not swinging in games then take the bull by the horns and give them a 'hit it' signal. When you feel the count is in their favor or just have a hunch give them the signal. Make sure that it's a 'hit' signal not a 'swing' signal or they'll just swing without the intention to hit the ball. Tell them that if it's a really bad pitch they can check the swing. I've had success with this approach especially with girls who don't want to swing at bad pitches or learn that if they don't swing they might get a walk. I seen too many girls get to a 2-0 count and think, '2 more balls and I've got a walk', I give them the 'hit it' sign unless we are behind and need to work the pitcher.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying