How to get more aggressive at the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 8, 2009
We are a first year 12u team and to say the least, we don't hit a lot. We have a few that really go all out at the plate but the majority will just let the ball go by. We have a some that just stand there and look dazed or pout if a strike is called. What can we as coaches do to give this young team what they need to put the ball in play more?
Thanks

Jan 12, 2009
I am a situational guy and a location teacher but if they ain't swinging that does not matter. Use the old phrase that if the can touch it they can hit it. The other thing to develop is that they are thinking hit every time and not just with the mind. They need to load, step and aggressively trigger before saying no and stopping the swing. Athletes with little or no negative to positive move have to be very confident to hit this way...some get away with it but if they are weak in the mental game and do not not swing at every pitch until saying no...it will be a long season for them and this will take time so be patient.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I bribe little kids. Although, 12U is a little too old. But, maybe.

Think of an award "for trying." Barrettes, rubber bracelets, stickers, etc.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
Maybe have BP against live pitching where you tell them to swing at every pitch, then yell "ball" or "strike" after the swing.

Then move on to allowing them to yell "ball" and shut down their swing as soon as they identify a ball, otherwise they are swinging.

Just brainstorming here - I haven't tried these ideas myself.

Jul 26, 2010
Make sure you give them accolades for swinging, even if they miss and strike out. Kevin's suggestion is great, we do that occasionally as well.

You also should teach them how to perform "good takes". Make sure they are loading, stepping, and watching the ball all the way to the catcher's mitt when they don't swing. Standing there shouldn't be acceptable.

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
2-part answer: 1) Assume that they are swinging at every pitch; 2) Stop the swing only if the ball is outside the Hitting/Green/Go zone. 2a) VISUALIZE that zone - show it on paper (at U12 its probably the plate width plus a ball (i.e., from batters box line to batters box line and height is knees-armpits + 1 ball); lay out balls on the ground across the plate to show them the width; use several people to hold balls to show a tall/short hitter the height. Have them call out Green (or Go) or Red (or Stop) on pitched balls until they get the hang of it and then let them start making the decision with the bat. Repitition is critical - there are no shortcuts to pitch recognition. I intentionally refrained from referencing balls and strikes because that can be a problem sometimes with inconsistent pitching and umpiring at that age. Regardless, the Go zone easily lends itself to be modified as their skills and the competition progress or the situation dictates (i.e., an umpire with a low/high/tall/wide strike zone) and specific hitting counts i.e., 3-0 has a much smaller Go zone than 0-2 or 3-2 etc.

Mar 13, 2010
I was taught to bat by having me step when the pitcher stepped. Not only does it help me with my timing the ball, but I'm also ready to hit every ball. It's something I love teaching because I find it works every time.

Incidently I haven't been struck out once since I was 14 years old. And that is playing up to state league level. I might not get on every time, but I make them get me out.

Oct 19, 2009
Some of the things I do.
I play a game with the kids, every kid gets in a line with their bat and a helmet. I can pitch or we use a pitching machine. They get one pitch and the first time through they must make contact. Those that miss get their glove and hit the field, the next time through they must hit in fair territory those that miss get their glove, the next time through the ball must hit into the green and so on until one kid is left standing. If you use a pitching machine you can up the speed. The kids love it.

In practice I have the hitter step into every pitch we even work on the proper form for taking a pitch. I teach to think yes, yes, yes and then no for the swing not no, no, no and then yes at the last minute, think swing at every pitch.

No negative thoughts at the plate, we do not think do swing at a rise ball out of the zone, we think see it low.

Jul 28, 2008
I tell my kids the same thing that others have mentioned. They are swinging on EVERY pitch, unless it's out of the zone. Therefore, I want them to stride and bring the knob of the bat inside the ball on every pitch. Unless they're diving away from a way inside pitch, of course.

There are times where I have them in the cage either with the machine or front toss, there I have them do just that. They also must watch the ball all the way through the strike zone, while going through the sequence and stopping just short of pulling the trigger.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45