How to demotivate your child

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I watched this program on HBO today, Damn near brought me to tears.

State Of Play "Trophy Kids" - Parenting in youth sports.

This is just a clip, what's inside the actual program is even harder to watch.

[video=youtube_share;LqIvsMZhuz8]http://youtu.be/LqIvsMZhuz8[/video]

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The kids that are rode and pushed rarely succeed. I wish I had some statistics about it, but looking at the boys that played with my boys - maybe 5 out of 100 played baseball or basketball in college. The #1 that had MLB wrote all over him did not get drafted. His dad was the worst. He was so bad, that I would have divorced him just to keep him away from the son.

But, this just isn't about sports. I could say the same thing about some farming fathers.

Jan 25, 2011
I can relate. I have said the samething to my dd about going to a game and in the car on the way home, telling her that when she was on the field, she did absolutely nothing. I wish after seeing this, that someone would of b*%*h slapped me at the time. I don't do it anymore.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Just for you NANO

BitchSlap_zps6e8af9b1.gif~c200

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I did it one time. My son was playing 5th grade basketball and wouldn't shoot the ball. I quit after that episode. I wonder if he remembers it?

My folks were almost never at my games and I liked it like that. Now, parents set up lawn chairs to watch practices, even.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
In my parent meeting at the beginning of off season training, with the players present, I tell the players that they are allowed to put there ear buds in and listen to there music until they get home. And parents are not allowed to talk specifics about the game until they get home. The parents laugh a bit and then before the season starts I remind them about my expectations regarding this and tell the players to let me know if the parents are not living up to there end of the deal. Congratulate them for the efforts and attitude whenever you want, and remember it's their game, not yours. Be there biggest fan and supporter and realize that calling them out about there poor play or errors will not make them better players, just resentful.
I have seen players quit due to parental pressures and unrealistic expectations. It's sad to see and unfair to the athlete.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs