Overuse Injuries and Year Round Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2018
BTW to my surprise almost all of DDs injuries she would have, have all but gone away since she started lifting heavy 18 months ago.
I have 2 sons that are swimmers and their club coaches had them lifting weights in 7th grade. Why does every boy sport emphasis weight training, but most girls programs don't? Could this be the reason for disparity in ACL injuries? Luckily we have an incredible all girls gym that focuses solely on the female athlete. It has transformed DD, concentrating on quality of movement and strengthening not just muscles but all of the supporting biology (bones, tendons, ligaments, etc.).

Not sure becoming a weightlifter is necessary, but a functional movement assessment should be mandatory.

Thanks to sage advice from someone who has been through this journey, my 13 yr old has been pumping iron for almost a year and has never felt healthier.

Oct 4, 2018
Go to enough doctors one of them is always ready to operate.
If something hurts stop doing it. (Never had a surgery so maybe I don't understand)
I'm sure surgery is needed sometimes but I don't buy into all of it.

Once you tear the ACL, surgery really helps. :)

Jun 8, 2016
Once you tear the ACL, surgery really helps. :)
I played half a baseball season with a torn ACL. Doctor said I couldn't do anymore damage to it so if I wanted to rehab back to the point where I could play, I could. Ended up playing half my Jr. year with my leg taped from from my ankle up to my groin..I wasn't very effective (and I think it actually screwed up my swing..). I had the surgery in the summer.

Oct 4, 2018
I played half a baseball season with a torn ACL. Doctor said I couldn't do anymore damage to it so if I wanted to rehab back to the point where I could play, I could. Ended up playing half my Jr. year with my leg taped from from my ankle up to my groin..I wasn't very effective (and I think it actually screwed up my swing..). I had the surgery in the summer.

Our tears must have been different. I tried to play on mine but any cut and my knee would pop out of place and hurt like a bitch. I wasn't as taped up as you were though. :)

Jun 8, 2016
Our tears must have been different. I tried to play on mine but any cut and my knee would pop out of place and hurt like a bitch. I wasn't as taped up as you were though. :)
It was a complete ACL tear..tore the meniscus too...and yes it did hurt playing on it ;). I had to move from SS to 3B for that season.

Dec 5, 2017
Your initial post was referencing injuries from specialized (presumably 1 sport) athletes. Specifically ACL tears and "Elite level youth sports is not something that improves your health today"...

The strength and conditioning program that my DD and her organization subscribes to addresses EXACTLY these issues, specifically injury prevention and improved health. If you feel that it is not the answer, that's ok. My $0.02 is that I feel this cross training is an underappreciated aspect of sport specialization, hence the post.

My DD has learned how to work out in a group environment at a young age. She enjoys these work outs so much that she has often said that if softball doesn't work out she wants to be a "crossfit" athlete... Softball is not a lifelong pursuit, general physical fitness is.
My dd started going to boot camp last spring with my wife when she broke her hand and couldn't softball for a while. She absolutely loved it and has gone religiously 2 days a week. She will jump out of bed at 7:30 on Saturdays and is ready to roll. She likes the group environment as well and I seriously believe that if she quite basketball and softball she would become a cross fitter as she gets older. Having said all that, boot camp has been great for her and I would love to see more girls from her sb team go. She has seen great benefit from the strength increases she has made. She is quicker, stronger, and has much greater stamina.

Apr 28, 2019
I have watched this video several times. It is from Bryant Gumbel as part of a series. Curious what others think about the increased trend in specialization for young athletes in softball. The video doesn't address a specific sport but seems to focus on ACL tears and profiles some in soccer/gymnastics. But I believe the advice applies to many young softball players too. They say the data is clear there is a 2x likelihood of injury with specializing at a young age.

"Elite level youth sports is not something that improves your health today" - quote from a Dr. in the video.

There are not a ton of solutions provided in this short video, other than don't specialize 11 months a year, at least at a young age.

Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel

Dec 5, 2017
I wonder what percentage of those injuries are from cheer and gymnastics? The stories I've heard are just crazy. I've witnessed it with 2 of my nieces also.

Jul 14, 2018
While on the subject of multi-sport athletes...

DD's middle school had their basketball tryouts two weeks ago. Five of her softball teammates tried out, but not one made the team. A few soccer players made it (same coach, go figure), but mostly it's the girls who have played travel basketball for a few years.

So, even if you want to play more than one sport (at the middle school level even!) there are kids who have just played more at a higher level and that door may already be closed at 12 years old.

Apr 28, 2014
I have 2 sons that are swimmers and their club coaches had them lifting weights in 7th grade. Why does every boy sport emphasis weight training, but most girls programs don't? Could this be the reason for disparity in ACL injuries? Luckily we have an incredible all girls gym that focuses solely on the female athlete. It has transformed DD, concentrating on quality of movement and strengthening not just muscles but all of the supporting biology (bones, tendons, ligaments, etc.).

Not sure becoming a weightlifter is necessary, but a functional movement assessment should be mandatory.

Thanks to sage advice from someone who has been through this journey, my 13 yr old has been pumping iron for almost a year and has never felt healthier.

More to come!
Keep up the great work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28