How to correct pop fly?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 15, 2008
I am consistently hitting pop flies towards the 2nd baseman ~ CF area. It seems that no matter what the pitch location, I am always hitting the bottom part or even miss by going under the ball. How can I correct it?

Something about my form that might be related (?):
I believe my front arm is pretty rotational-ish, however the rear elbow tends to point towards the catcher. So the rear hand palm is facing the front upper arm during the rotation, which require my rear hand to first supinate to get the bat to the contact zone in a quite level plane before the rear hand can push through the contact zone. i.e. Totally turning the rear palm to face the sky before pushing through.
I also found it easier to do this front arm rotational pull if I am swinging in an uppercut path, that might make me unconsciously start the swing path at a lower spot?
Also, the head seems to get pulled away if my body rotates too violently.

Dec 28, 2008
Remind - Wow you've given an awful lot of technical information that is way over my head. So I'm going to say something that is going to be much more basic and hopefully it may help.

Having never met you I'm going to share what I always share with my players, and with others that always hit the ball to the second basemen .... Quit being a goalie. Goalies are those defensive players who's job it is stop the puck/ball from getting past them and going into the net behind them. Many batters are trained through years of experience to be goalies by their parents. If you strike out they "frown" "pout" "scream", coach goes balistic and says "just put the ball in player", teammates may not make eye contact when you come back to the dugout so you get condition that if you wait long enough to be 100% something is a strike then you safely throw your hands to the ball to protect the catchers mitt from being hit. Stop that. A batter is suppsed to ATTACK THE BALL and sometimes those that try to ATTACK something end up missing. That means you have to have a mental attitude that you will destroy the ball if you make contact with it. You have to ATTACK an inside pitch early and that ball will go to the left side of the field. You have to ATTACK anythng near the middle in a way that will drive the ball back up the middle. And you have to ATTACK an outside pitch in a way that will drive that ball to the right side of the field. Only you know the answer to the question of "Are you trying to be a goalie or are you attacking the ball?" If you know that you are swinging more out of fear of striking out, than out of a desire to destroy the ball that will take a mental adjustment, but once you realize it then you can fix it.

As for the popups - There are a couple of things that I think will help you.
2 Tee drill - For this you simply set up 2 battings so that they are at equal heights. Place the ball on the second tee and just practice swinging at it. If you continue to drop your hands as your first movement you will continue to hit the first tee and you'll neve hit the ball solidly. Once you start taking the correct path to the ball your bat should miss the first tee and destroy the second ball. (A good gadge that you can get to help you is called the Tee Stacker which you can find at Tee Stackers New Softball and Baseball Hitting Aid.. It's a pretty simple gadget that enables you stack multiple balls on the tee on top of each other so that you can practice a good swing. Their website will explain the goals and how to use it, and there are several outlets that sell them.)

Have mom or dad soft toss you some rolled up socks, or marshmallows or whatever and just practicing slapping them with your lead hand and follow through all the way. If you back off all of the "technical approaches" to swining and just let your body naturally slap the socks I think you'll make some corrections.

Now for the "technical" side of things. You seem to have a pretty good recognition of your body during the swing and have worked hard on your swing, so I'm going to ask something kind of random that has nothing to do with your hands or swing ... what does your front knee do? I see a lot of girls swinging and their front knee ends up bending at the point of attack. If your front knee bends like that then your entire body, including your hands and the bat are going to drop at the last second and your brain can't compensate for that late movement. If you think that may be the case then start working on striding and "firming up" that front leg so that it doesn't buckle at the last minute. Just guessing that as much as you work on your swing that might be an issue that you've overlooked as you've focused so much on your hands.

Oct 19, 2009
I wanted to check my notes to make sure I was telling you correct.

The hitting camp my daughter attended at Alabama the coach gave a series of drills, designed to keep the weight back and to bring the weight through after contact.

Load then take front ankle back to the back ankle pause a second and then swing.
Load the take front ankle to back knee pause a second and then swing.
Load then tap front toe on the ground in front back ankle, then swing no pause on this one.
These drills he advised were to help the hitter keep the weight back on the swing.

Load swing and then bring you back knee through and point you back knee at the pitcher and hold for a second (kind of looks like a stork on one knee).
This drill helped with bringing you weight forward.

Then you combine these drill ankle to ankle and then bring the back knee through and point at the pitcher and Ankle to back knee and then knee to the pitcher.

Then combined drill he advised was good for hitters who were getting under the ball. It was difficult, he advised to get under the ball using this drill.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck