How protective should a catcher be of her mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I know nothing about being a catcher, and the use of their equipment. DD said her school HC picked up and used her mitt a few times during practice (without asking her). She doesn't like him putting his bigger hand in her mitt. Her hands are on the smaller side.
Is it reasonable for her to say her mitt feels different after he uses it?

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
It sounds petty, but yes, it is totally reasonable that her glove feels different.

Catchers are some of the most protective people of their equipment. Part of the personality traits that draw a person to catching. I still have the mitt I got when I was 12 and used it the whole time I caught my daughter at pitching lessons.

Mar 13, 2010
Holy hell I would LOSE it if someone picked up my glove and used it! I *moght* let someone borrow it but honestly? It’s just not done.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
I concur with ANNASDAD. Not petty. Bats are a different matter, but mitts are sacred. Also, from a catchers point of view, the thing we are asking them to do requires that they feel secure in their equipment and the first part of that is the security they get from trusting their glove; it's the first line of defense.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
My DD doesn't want anyone else on her team including coaches using any of her catcher's gear at all including her mitt. We're talking real fire, brimstone, wrath of a woman type of reaction here. She won't say anything, she'll just boil until we get in the car later. In fact, if she allows someone to borrow a piece of her equipment, it's a huge statement as to how my daughter feels about that particular girl. She's not nearly as protective of her bat or her fielders glove, but her catcher's kit goes into battle with her.

That being said, she will let me use her glove playing catch or warming up and has never thought it felt different afterwards.

Apr 17, 2019
I'm a woman, a player, a coach with smallish hands. There have been times where I've let people with bigger hands borrow my glove and I always regret it. It does feel stretched afterward, and can even be a safety issue imo as you lose some feel and control. I've been annoyed when I've let people borrow it. I'd be downright p!ssed if someone helped themselves. And I'm a super-chill person about most things.

Last edited:

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I am majorly protective of my catcher's gear and I include my glove and my shields as part of my gear. I'm a small player for my position (I've grown a little since I started posting on here back in 2016 going from 4'10" to 5'2" and going from a little over a hundred pounds to now weighing 140 pounds) and it's important that my equipment fit me like a glove. Thankfully, since I'm a lefty, I'm not as likely to have my glove just borrowed without my permission. But I remember we had a coach with freakishly large hands. He's a lefty and he didn't have his catcher's glove with him. So he went into my bag and grabbed my glove knowing I'm a catcher and a lefty. I'm already protective of my catcher's gear and being that time of the month left me particularly moody and I too am a chill girl. I was hot when I saw him using my glove. I didn't scream at coach but let him know I didn't like him just borrowing my gear without asking me first.

But, I'm usually pretty chill when it comes to teammates wanting to raid my snacks, borrow my fielder's mitt or borrow a bat or a bat weight. But my catcher's mitt didn't feel right until I had a chance to pound it back into shape with my glove mallet and using glove oil at home.