How often should you clean gloves!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I have an admission....I've never once actually cleaned a glove with a specified glove cleaner product!

If I can take the glove in my right hand and slam the hand opening down into my left palm several times and get some small stones or pebbles in my hand, yeah I'll plug in the air compressor. My idea of cleaning a glove is a warm damp towel and a firm wipe down, place it in the sun for an hour or so and then a light wipe down with some Surf City Voodoo.

Cleaning....meh, but I'll rip some laces out in a minute!

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
I clean them every six months with Ball Player's Balm. That's a thorough cleaning and conditioning that involves a horsehair brush and a lot of scrubbing. I will wipe down their gloves more often during the season, but the deep cleaning normally requires a few days to dry out.

As for gray and white gloves, they will never be the original color once they get dirty. It doesn't matter how often you scrub them. The dirt gets in the pores and changes the color.
I do this.
I did learn not to condition a glove the night before for games on turf. I did what I always do but without the dirt from the field, the glove was just a bit slick. During the game break, we had to hunt up a neighboring baseball field just to find some dirt to rub on the glove.

Nov 9, 2019
My daughter has a grey Liberty advanced. It always looks so dirty- but I feel the more she cleans it the dirtier it’s getting. Is she cleaning it too much?

What should she clean it with and how frequently when it’s caked with dirt?
we've had a couple made and was told to use shaving creme. Seems to work well for last few years.

May 13, 2023
Other than when my glove has to touch the dirt Fielding a ball, when the glove is off my hand, I'd never ever put my glove on the ground. I think this is the best way to keep it in good condition not kicking it around in the dirt of a Dugout or field.

This includes when teams have somebody collecting the gloves and setting them together and put them on the ground. I would not relinquish my glove to that. There's always a special place for my gear on my bag hanging on the fence. That is where my glove was when it was not on my hand.

Only cleaning I might have done once in awhile would have been using a damp cloth to remove any sticky dirt accumulated when we might have played when it was damp or raining. Other than that just some conditioning oils maybe once or twice a year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414