How often do you practice sliding?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
ms244 said:
The umpires had a rule that any play at home play REQUIRED a slide by the runner.
I think it's crazy for the umpires or sanctioning body to take on that potential liability.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
We practice it pretty frequently, as part of our baserunning drills. There are times when the field conditions are not good, and I'll tell the players that we won't be sliding today - and they get disappointed. Most players like sliding -- as long as they are dressed properly.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We don't practice very often. A few times a year on the slide pad and a few on the dirt. I've seen too many sliding injuries happen in practice, even with good mechanics. And to boot, my brother got hurt his junior year in D1 college early in the season on sliding practice. Missed about 10 games. And he slid good, just one of those things that happen.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
As a Coach, my answer is "it depends". Our last Head Coach decided sliding and bunting was the most important issue to practice. Unfortunately, she neglected to practice hitting as much. It doesn't do much good to be a great slider if you never get on base. While sliding is important, I do consider it much like bunting. Everybody needs to practice it, but not nearly as much as some other skills, like hitting, fielding, throwing, and pitching. I don't know of too many girls getting offered scholarships based on their sliding skills.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
They did it for like 45 minutes. She was doing a hook slide and caught the rut from the batters...Of course it was the last one of the day.

Ugh, we don't do it nearly enough, BUT when we do, there is a guy with a rake standing there the whole time keeping it all loose and level.

Apr 1, 2010
DD went to tryouts for three 12U teams this year. I was a little surprised that no one had any of the girls slide. If I was a coach, it wouldn't be anywhere near my highest priority, but I think I'd want to see all my prospective players make one slide--just to make sure it wasn't going to be a problem. Or perhaps DD is just getting to the age where it's a given?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck