How often do you practice sliding?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
How often do you practice sliding? I ask because my DD is now in a soft cast and will not be able to play/practice for at least 6 weeks. She fractured the growth plate in her ankle sliding into home during practice.(she said she was safe at least, got to love them!)

The big problem she is one of the main pitchers on her team. We are moving up to 12u this fall and really could have used this time to practice 40', not mending.

Thanks!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We practice it a lot! More kids are hurt sliding than doing anything else.

HOME PLATE???? How did she get hurt at home? Most are hurt getting jammed up on a base. Were her cleats down? I see girls doing that a lot without practicing keeping their foot up.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
They did it for like 45 minutes. She was doing a hook slide and caught the rut from the batters...Of course it was the last one of the day.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
They did it for like 45 minutes. She was doing a hook slide and caught the rut from the batters...Of course it was the last one of the day.

OUCH! Not much you can do to avoid that, except make sure the field crew does better packing down the box.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Just got home from a tourney ten minutes ago and a girl slid into home in an earlier game with her cleats down they dug in and sprained her ankle pretty good, lots of tears and limping rest of day

Nov 14, 2011
My youngest daughter just returned to her team after breaking a bone in her foot by sliding into home. The umpires had a rule that any play at home play REQUIRED a slide by the runner. So the next game my DD was running home on a wild pitch and caught her cleat on a rut before the plate and twisted her foot. Her team NEVER practiced sliding and it was funny watching all the different type of slides that would be attempted. We were lucky not to have more players injured due to not knowing how to properly slide.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Honestly we only practiced twice once with s slip and slide in the grass and once with a piece of linoleum on the field. A lot of girls and boys struggle with this. They don't understand that speed is actually their friend

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Honestly we only practiced twice once with s slip and slide in the grass and once with a piece of linoleum on the field. A lot of girls and boys struggle with this. They don't understand that speed is actually their friend

Right on. So many slow down a touch before starting to slide.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812