How much practice is enough?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2010
Central Illinois
How often should my daughter practice pitching each week??? My daughter just turned 10. She is an athletic girl at around 5 feet tall and 95 pounds. This is her first year of travel softball and first year of pitching. She began pitching about 6 months ago. At present, she is throwing about 45 mph and has very good control - averages about 2 walks per game. Currently, she works with a pitching coach once/week, throws an average of 2 games/week, and throws for about an hour at each of two team practices per week. She is upset when I tell her that she needs to take a day off and rest - she just lives to pitch. I don't want her to a) get burnt out, b) injure herself, or c) get worn out. I don't want to discourage the drive to improve either. How much is too much?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
This is hard question. Is she hurting? If she isn't hurting, then I don't see why she shouldn't pitch on her days off. Pitching is something that (in my humble opinion) needs to be done every day in order to be successful. It is something that you must constantly practice. You're lucky that she wants to practice so much!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Overuse injuries for softball pitching are real. Kids her age can be injured simply by throwing too much. I would limit her pitching to every other day.

The real challenge will be when her body starts changing at 12 or 13. Until then, pitching is more about having fun. You have to keep it in perspective.

I would also be very, very concerned that she is using the proper form--i.e., she delivers the ball with her hips open and her upper body is not over her front foot when she throws. If you are going to a good pitching coach, he should already be working on this.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Every day is too much for a 10U that has only been pitching 6 mos. I agree with Sluggers every other day is enough at her age and the amount of time she has been pitching. If she had been pitching for a year or two her arm will be more conditioned for the repetitive wear on her arm. If she has the fire to want to pitch everyday, try and keep that fire going. The day off could actually make her want it more.Everybody deserves a day off and allow their muscles to rest.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Every pitcher is diff. I got one on my travel team that MUST pitch every other day to stay sharp. My own DD does better once a week then 4-5 games a weekend. ( i'm not bragging, that is just what works for her ) That one day a week that my DD uses is more mental application ( counts, batters, runners on ) trying to teach her there is more to pitching than going head to head.

You can pitch 1000 pitches a week, but you must teach 'set up pitches', breaking, and off speeds. Nothing wrong with a low pitch count per inning if your making all the batters hit off the handle or the end of the bat.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Is DD seeing a pitching coach? If so, I recommend that she only 3 days per week plus her lesson. Her PC should also have a set of drills for her to do every single day that help her with form/mechanics.

Feb 5, 2010
I like Amy's thinking, I have never seen a kid who doesn't enjoy hitting. On off days work on hitting. My DD never gets sore but will slow down if over worked. They need time to recover and heal. It is the long term effects that she will have to live with that you should try to avoid now.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Is it average that 10 YOA pitchers throw at 45 with better than average control, or is this DD special? If specail I would be very careful which PC you choose and how much she practices to avoid "overuse". I find it amazing though that someone that just turned 10 and has been pitching for 6 months is throwing 45 mph. To put into perspective, the girls in the Big East Conference final were throwing low (very low) 60's. In my opinion, you may have someone special there. Do you have any video?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414